Orioles "Appear to be the Leading team of interest" to Get Samardzija

SticksandStones

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as the O's kept their other prospects on relative lockdown afterwards, I think I'd have to agree to that. I'd be shocked if the Cubs went for a 1-for-1, though.

I think the plan is to try and get two 2015/2016 MLB arms in exchange for an arm that will be a FA then. But I also don't think they'd anticipate getting a MLB ready arm of Gausman's quality.

As long as the O's kept their other prospects on relative lockdown afterwards, I think I'd have to agree to that. I'd be shocked if the Cubs went for a 1-for-1, though.

Why, They would win big time. Read what Stotle says there.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck just said on MASNs Mid Atl. Sports Report that he and Duquette have not even discussed Samardzija.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">May 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Even if they had, he couldn't admit it. That would be tampering.

Tillman had to bounce back and forth between MLB and MiLB for four seasons before he completed a full season with Baltimore. He also got over, what, 450 minor league innings before being first promoted?

100% I agree with your Gausman assessment. We need to be willing to accept some rough patches at ML even though he's been good in minors. I'd expect him to be fantastic against minor league hitter s if he spent that long. Also think Tillman got away with bullying wIth his fastball in the minors.

I think the plan is to try and get two 2015/2016 MLB arms in exchange for an arm that will be a FA then. But I also don't think they'd anticipate getting a MLB ready arm of Gausman's quality.

Makes sense, given their current stage in re: developing the ML roster. I'm just assuming that they'd want to spread out their risk beyond one player, even if that player is someone of Gausman's caliber.

Makes sense, given their current stage in re: developing the ML roster. I'm just assuming that they'd want to spread out their risk beyond one player, even if that player is someone of Gausman's caliber.

Could be right. I think they hope to move Samardzija for at least a mid-rotation-arm-to-be and maybe one that projects to back-end or shut down in the pen. Cut a pre-draft deal for someone like Aaron Nola and package Baez, Vogelbach, and a couple other guys for another potential mid-rotation to front-end guy. Open up the checkbook for a FA or two and all of the sudden it's a stout rotation to go with a cheap, upside offense.

Could be right. I think they hope to move Samardzija for at least a mid-rotation-arm-to-be and maybe one that projects to back-end or shut down in the pen. Cut a pre-draft deal for someone like Aaron Nola and package Baez, Vogelbach, and a couple other guys for another potential mid-rotation to front-end guy. Open up the checkbook for a FA or two and all of the sudden it's a stout rotation to go with a cheap, upside offense.

Based on 3rd hand info I get via sports talk radio in Chicago:

Baez is a major part of their future plans. The Cubs would sooner move Castro than Baez despite Javier's struggles this year.

The Cubs would absolutely move Samardzija for a guy like Gausman. It's the type of move they've been waiting (and hoping) to make. They wanted to make a similar move with Garza, but he was never healthy enough to get someone of Gausman's caliber.

If the O's are going to give up 2 of their top pitching prospects in the hopes of winning big this year or next, it would make sense to take Gausman off the table, as he is the one closest to being able to contribute this year or next. I would be very surprised it they were to trade KG in an attempt to win now. KG will be a factor this year.

Archived