Orioles "Appear to be the Leading team of interest" to Get Samardzija

SticksandStones

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on 3rd hand info I get via sports talk radio in Chicago:

Baez is a major part of their future plans. The Cubs would sooner move Castro than Baez despite Javier's struggles this year. [sort of agree; I think the org is pumping Baez's value some -- remember he's one of the previous regime's guys]

The Cubs would absolutely move Samardzija for a guy like Gausman. [Agree, very much.] It's the type of move they've been waiting (and hoping) to make. They wanted to make a similar move with Garza, but he was never healthy enough to get someone of Gausman's caliber. [Agree; front office was frustrated, no doubt.]

See thoughts above.

I'll go on the record as against this trade. I'm pretty sure I won't like the price for a 1.5 year rental.

Yeah ...I'm not giving up Bundy, Guasman , or Harvey unless the Os get a trade time extension. Even then I prefer to part with KG only because of the fly ball pitcher stuff. If it could get done with Wright and E Rod plus a guy like Sisco I'd be much happier. Either way if you trade for him you have to sign him.

In the end the offense is the bigger problem most days ...so I'm generally against a deal.

I'm going to ask this question again: why on Earth would you trade a blue chipper like Gausman for a starting pitcher who prior to 2014 had a 97 ERA+ as a starter in the National League and who could barely average 6 IP?

Try reading the thread.

My problem after looking is that Samardzija is that he's a 4.00 era pitcher over the past two full season in the national league and averages 6 2/3 per start.

Question for those welcoming a trade....is a 4.40 ish era and 6 2/3 innings be worth giving up even our second tier guys like Wright and Erod? Is he really much better than whomever you bump?

I thought the Jimenez signing was very bad, and was a pretty clear indication there was not a clear plan for the direction this organization is supposed to be heading. Maybe that's an overreaction, but I don't think so. I don't think a Samardzija trade makes sense given what we have seen from the organization in the offseason. That is, I don't believe the org will do what it needs to do to make the Samardzija trade work into a long term strategy.

Agree with every single word of this. Further, I don't like Samardzija at all. He's nothing special and I wouldn't swap any of our top 4 pitching prospects for him... and it would likely take two of them... and I don't think ERod is MLB material.

This franchise has been desperately waiting for many years to develop a TOR. It hasn't and now many of our top position players could be on their way out of here. I like DD but I don't love this roster and have real concerns it could get worse. He needs to start working some creative trades. Hardy will be out of here in four months and we'll get nothing for him. Same as they did with JJ. We can't keep wasting assets like that.

My problem after looking is that Samardzija is that he's a 4.00 era pitcher over the past two full season in the national league and averages 6 2/3 per start.

Question for those welcoming a trade....is a 4.40 ish era and 6 2/3 innings be worth giving up even our second tier guys like Wright and Erod? Is he really much better than whomever you bump?

I think it s a tough call because right now he's not that 4.40 ish guy. I'd he keeps dealing like this for the rest of the year after the trade then he gives us a legit shot. Like someone trading for CD last year. .. sometimes the hot streak doesn't end.

This is kind of an Alexander for Smoltz type deal.

Good grief. It's about his peripherals over the past 2 1/3 years. Also the reasons behind his peripherals (using 2 seam FB/more GBs, and relatively high K rate). The guy has a 7.6 FWAR in 2 1/3 seasons. That's pretty freakin good. There was a pretty long thread about him in the offseason with many of us making his case for him indicating improvement and him being better than his "ERA". You don't want to believe 1.68 ERA then fine (I don't either), but he's pretty good and should do well with a good IF behind him.

Agree with every single word of this. Further, I don't like Samardzija at all. He's nothing special and I wouldn't swap any of our top 4 pitching prospects for him... and it would likely take two of them... and I don't think ERod is MLB material.

This franchise has been desperately waiting for many years to develop a TOR. It hasn't and now many of our top position players could be on their way out of here. I like DD but I don't love this roster and have real concerns it could get worse. He needs to start working some creative trades. Hardy will be out of here in four months and we'll get nothing for him. Same as they did with JJ. We can't keep wasting assets like that.

It's amazing we have so many people who knew the Jiminez signing was bad when 94% on here thought it was good at the time. Must have been a glitch in the OH poll data.

Enough with the ERA already, it's hardly the best way to measure pitcher performance. His xFIPs over the last 3 years 3.38,3.45,3.27. That's a 3.39xFIP since the start of the 2012 season. That's good for the 17th best in MLB over that time frame. Better than Johnny Cueto, James Shields, Gio Gonzalez and barely behind Cole Hamels and Madison Bumgarner. Acting like he'd be some mid 4ERA pitcher in the AL east is extremely disingenuous.

Good grief. It's about his peripherals over the past 2 1/3 years. Also the reasons behind his peripherals (using 2 seam FB/more GBs, and relatively high K rate). The guy has a 7.6 FWAR in 2 1/3 seasons. There was a pretty long thread about him in the offseason with many of us making his case for him indicating improvement and him being better than his "ERA". You don't want to believe 1.68 then fine, but he's pretty good and should do well with a good IF behind him.

Good Grief? Nice ..... His war the last two seasons according to BBref pitching values 2.8 games. I know he is off to a hot start and perhaps is coming into his own. Again even if their is no era diff he's a 6 2/3 pitcher with a 4 ERA.

Enough with the ERA already, it's hardly the best way to measure pitcher performance. His xFIPs over the last 3 years 3.38,3.45,3.27. That's a 3.39xFIP since the start of the 2012 season. That's good for the 17th best in MLB over that time frame. Better than Johnny Cueto, James Shields, Gio Gonzalez and barely behind Cole Hamels and Madison Bumgarner. Acting like he'd be some mid 4ERA pitcher in the AL east is extremely disingenuous.

Thank freakin god. Some common sense. Why don't these people just say they don't like peripherals instead of ignoring it.

You think that's better than 10% of average ML starters? I can't believe I'm arguing this with the "smart people".

Archived