MLB will suspend Machado for five games. Machado plans to appeal.

Greg

Yeah, pitchers throw at batters many times a year. Batters don't throw baseball bats into the field of play because they are angry. There are coaches, players, umps out there. Its reckless and should never happen, its "not a part of baseball" like pitching in.

Ah, so it's okay to intentionally hit batters? Primarily at surgically repaired areas? Whodathunkit?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think it will take Torre five days to decide on an appeal? I don't. And I don't think it will get cganged because of the nature of the violent and dangerous nature of Machado's actions. In the past, suspensions for intentional beanings have been upheld. I think this falls in that category..

Appeals are generally heard in person. Escp since the Orioles will be in NYC next weekend I assume that is when the appeal will be heard.

I don't think there is anything wrong with him appealing. We all know he was at fault and he realizes it and will take a suspension.. but it's about being out there and trying to help his team win too. By appealing he should be able to knock it down to 3 which sounds about right.

Manny should take the high road and take the suspension immediately.

No, Manny should do what's best for him and the Orioles. And that's to delay the appeal and see if it can get reduced.

There is ZERO benefit to just taking the suspension on the chin. Image? You think it would change things dramatically if he just took it? Come on, let's be sensible here.

No, Manny should do what's best for him and the Orioles. And that's to delay the appeal and see if it can get reduced.

There is ZERO benefit to just taking the suspension on the chin. Image? You think it would change things dramatically if he just took it? Come on, let's be sensible here.

Exactly, the goal is still try to win ball games and we will have the best chance with Manny playing 3rd base. Nothing wrong with the appeal.

Manny should take the high road and take the suspension immediately.

It's not about taking the high road; it's about doing what's best for his team. He can't help his team while he's suspended. So if he can get the suspension cut to 3 games (and my guess is he should be able to do that), he owes it to his team to make the effort.

I don't think there is anything wrong with him appealing. We all know he was at fault and he realizes it and will take a suspension.. but it's about being out there and trying to help his team win too. By appealing he should be able to knock it down to 3 which sounds about right.

They can't replace him? I thought they could, it shouldn't be too hard replacing a slash line of .229/.283/.336 for 5 days.

Ah, so it's okay to intentionally hit batters? Primarily at surgically repaired areas? Whodathunkit?

You missed the point. Shocking. And if his knee is being held together by rubber bands and bubble gum, like you would all make us believe, then he should be put on the DL. Who knows, he might trip over his own feet trying to avoid a tag and fall down and injure it again. That would be embarrassing. Pitchers have been intentionally hitting batters since the beginning of the game, forever. When a pitcher throws at a batter, there should be repurcussions, he's putting that single player in danger. When a batter throws a heavy piece of lumber with all of his might into an area where coaches, umps, and players are, and without any of the accuracy that a pitcher can hurl a ball with, well, if you don't see the difference, Whodathunkit?

The whole image thing is BS.

We all know no Orioles fans will be thinking about his (Mannys) actions next year. And anyone else around baseball who does is just hanging on to something meaningless because they are mad he isn't one of them.

If this hangs over Mannys head for any period of time when fans are so quick to forget about PED users, then there's something wrong.

I don't see how I'd Manny charged the mound he probably doesn't get a suspension because he was being throw at. But because a bat leaves his hands on a swing and it ends up in the area of Donaldson, it's a suspension?

I wonder if Manny charging the mound would have led to an Abad suspension?

If his team would have just had his back after the first throw he wouldn't have had to throw the bat.

What do you mean? You wanted everyone to come out of the dugout and beat up Abad? I can't remember that ever happening in the history of MLB. Usually that only happens when a player charges the mound, which Manny didn't do. Manny never "had" to throw the bat. There were lots of ways he could have stood up for himself or gotten support from his teammates without him throwing the bat and getting himself suspended.

Could have been aiming for the thigh, I doubt they wanted to end Manny's career by pinpointing his knee, which if its surgically repaired, and he's been cleared to play 100%, do we have any evidence that if a ball hits him there, its game over for him? I was under the impression that it wasn't his knee cap which was broken, but a tendon or ligament. Not sure if a player ever had a ligament or tendon broken by getting hit by a baseball, but if there is evidence of that, I'd be very interested to read about it.

If you think about it, how hard is to hit a guy in the freakin knee? It's hard enough to hit a guy sometimes in the core, let alone the knee. It'd be pretty dumb luck imo and Abad by all accounts isn't even a command guy. Probably was designed to make him dance though.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ADmxi-nUrgg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Donaldson is a punk

Archived