MLB will suspend Machado for five games. Machado plans to appeal.

Greg

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester
If his knee isn't 100% healthy, and regular baseball activity might re-injure him, then he should be placed on the DL. The rest of the league shouldn't have to treat him like a Prima Donna with kid gloves.

"and regular baseball activity might re-injure him"? huh? Wait.... by NOT throwing at him on purpose is treating him "like a Prima Donna with kid gloves"? wow

MM should not get off - he did it - he knows he did it - I believe there was no intent to hurt anyone but that is not an excuse. Get it down to three games - if that "matures" him a bit now and in the future then it will be worth much more than that. Frankly, I am not totally against the thought of sending him down to get his head on straight. That pic with ARoid during the winter just made me shudder again.

Ugh. I don't agree. I think he is Buck's pet peeve with no hope of meaningful value. I think Clevenger and his bat should be working on whatever Buck feels he isn't good at the major league level.

Hundley had a few games and ....crickets.

I respect what you are saying, just agree to disagree. I think Joseph has already showed some value behind the plate. It's just harder to discern that value (positive or negative - perhaps negative in Clevenger's case) as opposed to seeing what a player does at the plate.

I think it could be similar to Lough. Despite his horrid start offensively, Lough was providing some value defensively when he was out there. Now we are seeing that he is slowing coming out of his deep freeze at the plate. I'm not saying Lough is good offensively necessarily, just better than what he's show thus far and that means if he is going to start moving toward his career averages then, well, he's going to have to hit some kind of hot streak. Maybe that is what we are seeing the beginnings of with him? :noidea:

As for Joseph, I don't think he is as good offensively as Clevenger. I don't know if he ever will be, he still could be someday - too soon to say definitively - but I would bet on Stevie being better offensively now and in the long run.

Ultimately, for me, at a position like catcher where SOOOO much of the game runs directly through him, I'm going to defer to the judgement of the manager, coaches, and players (particularly the pitchers who I think had some say in who stayed and who went) when deciding how to find the right balance between bat and glove when it comes to your backstop.

I don't think I need to defer to Buck's judgement when it came to not pinch running Lough for Markakis in Friday night's game. But that is so much more cut and dried, IMO.

"and regular baseball activity might re-injure him"? huh? Wait.... by NOT throwing at him on purpose is treating him "like a Prima Donna with kid gloves"? wow

MM should not get off - he did it - he knows he did it - I believe there was no intent to hurt anyone but that is not an excuse. Get it down to three games - if that "matures" him a bit now and in the future then it will be worth much more than that. Frankly, I am not totally against the thought of sending him down to get his head on straight. That pic with ARoid during the winter just made me shudder again.

Yes, regular baseball activity. If your fear is that his knee is made of glass, then he shouldn't be playing baseball. Part of the game is being pitched inside, if you are going to cry every time that someone does and throw things like a two year old, then maybe you should pick a different profession. Donaldson got hit by an intentional pitch, what if Chen broke his ribs, hit him in the face, broke his elbow, whatever. Vilify Abad for throwing inside to Manny, and if he really wanted to plunk him, Manny couldn't have gotten out of the way, you know, with his bad knee and all. Manny wasn't tagged hard, he was pissed that he made a dumb out, and then got embarrassed that he tripped and fell in front of 40k people, Donaldson got Manny's wrath, which was then foolishly pursued later in the game when he was blasted with a fastball by Chen. Manny brought all of this foolishness upon himself starting on Friday night, I'm over it, I think he'll mature and not be this type of guy in his career, but to blame anyone but Manny for this is folly.

I did plenty of stupid things, but I never recklessy endangered someone. If I had those type of "stupid moments", well, they wouldn't have given me a gun for work.

I call BULL****! Ever drink and drive? Drive faster then the speed limit? Giving you a gun makes you special? Cops never do anything that recklessly endangers others? Like, chasing someone at 100+ miles a hour because they changed lanes without turn signal? How about you come down off your soap box. He threw a bat, that landed 100+ feet away, 10-15 feet from a player who was 90+ feet away from him.

I see the perfect people are out today. The ones who have never ever done anything wrong, bad, dangerous, stupid in their life. Must be nice living in your imaginary world.

I call BULL****! Ever drink and drive? Drive faster then the speed limit?

I don't drink and drive, so I can't carry your irresponsibility for you. Yeah, I've driven 80 in a 65 MPH zone. The reason that that is a violation, and not a crime is because it doesn' t fall under "reckless endangerment". Have I ever thrown a bottle in a crowd of people? No, have I ever taken a huge piece of wood and chucked into an area where people are standing? No. Have I done stupid things? Sure, I once jumped off a boulder into shallow water and broke my ankle, but the only person I could have hurt in doing so was myself. I'm not perfect, but I have never recklessly endangered someone. If I do drink, I have over 80 "taxi's" waiting to give me a free ride home, so why would anyone drink and drive with a luxury like that?

I don't drink, so I can't carry your irresponsibility for you. Yeah, I've driven 80 in a 65 MPH zone. The reason that that is a violation, and not a crime is because it doesn' t fall under "reckless endangerment". Have I ever thrown a bottle in a crowd of people? No, have I ever taken a huge piece of wood and chucked into an area where people are standing? No. Have I done stupid things? Sure, I once jumped off a boulder into shallow water and broke my ankle, but the only person I could have hurt in doing so was myself. I'm not perfect, but I have never recklessly endangered someone.

Why do you get pulled over for speeding? Because it puts you and other people's lives in danger. You can't stop as fast, your reaction time is slower. DUHHHHHHHH!

If you drive fast enough. You do get arrested in some states! But I'm sure you didn't know that living in fantasy land!

Why do you get pulled over for speeding? Because it puts you and other people's lives in danger. You can't stop as fast, your reaction time is slower. DUHHHHHHHH!

If you drive fast enough. You do get arrested in some states! But I'm sure you didn't know that living in fantasy land!

Why don't you get arrested for speeding? You get pulled over for speeding because the Gov't wants to fine you, there is a LOT of money in it. So now you want to say that doing 150 MPH is reckless, sure it is and its illegal. How many people get pulled over going over 100 MPH? A couple in your career unless they are cops off duty, and you don't write them anyway.

I'd be interested in seeing how many players, steroid banning not included have never appealed a suspension. I can't think of one off the top of my head.

The Union asks that they appeal. To preserve the right for others.

Okay, can we just stop with this? We ALL did stupid things at 21...ALL of us. That said, how many 21 year olds have played in the Majors at that age? I'd say quite a few. Now, easier question...how many of them got angry and hurled a bat into the infield?

This wasn't a "mistake" that 21 year olds make. This was a blatant disregard for the safety of others.

How many of us at 21 or a little younger or older drove while maybe not drunk buzzed I would say that was more dangerous then this. I will be the first to say I had buzzed driving back in my day a long long time ago

I call BULL****! Ever drink and drive? Drive faster then the speed limit? Giving you a gun makes you special? Cops never do anything that recklessly endangers others? Like, chasing someone at 100+ miles a hour because they changed lanes without turn signal? How about you come down off your soap box. He threw a bat, that landed 100+ feet away, 10-15 feet from a player who was 90+ feet away from him.

I see the perfect people are out today. The ones who have never ever done anything wrong, bad, dangerous, stupid in their life. Must be nice living in your imaginary world.

Can we PLEASE not direct any commentary towards other posters. Only their opinions. Leave personalities out of this please.

Go do 90 in a 65, and then later take a baseball bat and fling it into a park with some people standing around it, then let me know how you make out with each one. You can't see the difference? Really?

Why don't you get arrested for speeding? You get pulled over for speeding because the Gov't wants to fine you, there is a LOT of money in it. So now you want to say that doing 150 MPH is reckless, sure it is and its illegal. How many people get pulled over going over 100 MPH? A couple in your career unless they are cops off duty, and you don't write them anyway.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/10206639/yasiel-puig-los-angeles-dodgers-arrested-being-clocked-110-mph

NAPLES, Fla. -- Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was arrested on a reckles-driving charge for the second time this year after officers say they clocked him going 110 mph in a 70 mph zone.

http://forums.officer.com/t146124/

A citation is a "promise" to appear at the time and location set, to answer to the offense committed. If you fail to sign the citation, then yes, I am going to arrest you, book you, and make you post bond.

On certain traffic offenses, I don't have to issue a citation, I can just go ahead and arrest you and make you post bond.

At a certain speed it's considered reckless driving and yes, a citizen will be arrested.
In NY State, a summons for any offense is "in liu of arrest." Meaning if the officer wants to, you can be arrested. That is why some go in for disorderly conduct and some get a summons. Attitude of the person who did wrong can be a huge deciding factor.

Go do 90 in a 65, and then later take a baseball bat and fling it into a park with some people standing around it, then let me know how you make out with each one. You can't see the difference? Really?
I did plenty of stupid things, but I never recklessy endangered someone. If I had those type of "stupid moments", well, they wouldn't have given me a gun for work.

I know the difference. The point was, the fact is, you're a liar and a hypocrite!

I know the difference. The point was, the fact is, you're a liar and a hypocrite!

You haven't shown that at all. I love how people who aren't cops can tell them the law as if they know better. And there are rules here. I would think someone who works in a dangerous profession garners a bit more respect than being called what he has here by you without a shred of evidence.

Not the first time I've seen you go off half-cocked.

Archived