MLB will suspend Machado for five games. Machado plans to appeal.

Greg

I'm seeing quite a few people who want Abad suspended and yet I've seen no one complain or even acknowledge that Chen wasn't suspended. You know, the guy who actually hit a player with the ball as opposed to just threw near him. As far as I'm concerned Abad and Chen pretty much cancel each other out so it's as it should be.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of these suspensions are handed out expecting an appeal. It's just like bartering. You offer to sell someone $5 for something and they come back at $2, and you settle on $3.

If Machado didn't appeal this the league would be laughing behind the scenes pretty hard I'd imagine. Also Davis should keep his mouth shut and support his teammate.

Another person's take - perhaps Manny should have another five tacked on? I don't feel that way but he does.

"Machado's toss clearly wasn't as egregious as Young's. But while a four-game suspension would have matched that of Nixon, the combination of that and Machado's other two incidents from the series created a pattern of behavior that suggests an anger management problem and little regard for the safety of other players - a pattern that certainly would have made a longer suspension defensible. Ten games, to match Campaneris, seems about right."

A lot of these suspensions are handed out expecting an appeal. It's just like bartering. You offer to sell someone $5 for something and they come back at $2, and you settle on $3.

If Machado didn't appeal this the league would be laughing behind the scenes pretty hard I'd imagine. Also Davis should keep his mouth shut and support his teammate.

Maybe some of the players are sick and tired of getting into fights due to the juvenile antics of some of their teammates? Maybe Dan is tired of the act too, thus his very clear message in the SI article stating that there is always the chance Manny could be sent down? Maybe this is their way of telling Manny to cut his crap.

I'm seeing quite a few people who want Abad suspended and yet I've seen no one complain or even acknowledge that Chen wasn't suspended. You know, the guy who actually hit a player with the ball as opposed to just threw near him. As far as I'm concerned Abad and Chen pretty much cancel each other out so it's as it should be.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense,especially if you are an A's fan.

Every bit of this. Especially Davis. If appealing makes him available for game one against Toronto, that alone is worth it. He maybe would rather sit at Tampa anyway.

Maybe some of the players are sick and tired of getting into fights due to the juvenile antics of some of their teammates? Maybe Dan is tired of the act too, thus his very clear message in the SI article stating that there is always the chance Manny could be sent down? Maybe this is their way of telling Manny to cut his crap.

I dunno, just thinking aloud, since you're all into criticizing Davis.

What's your problem today? I've ever said anything about Davis before, so OBVIOUSLY I'm into criticizing him. In fact I do it ALL THE TIME, or, that's right, once. He should have said, "no comment" and moved on. Just thinking out loud, since you're all into criticizing posters, I dunno.

I dunno, just thinking aloud, since you're all into criticizing Davis.

I think Davis (while being candid) should just be quiet. They had a meeting (closed doors) without Manny. What benefit is it for him to come out and throw him under the bus by saying he should just serve it? Does Davis not think Manny consulted with Buck and gang about whether he should appeal it or not?

They have a series on the road against Tampa and New York with an off day in between.

I'm in full support of him appealing it. I think he gains absolutely nothing by taking it on the chin and moving on.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Machado could drop the appeal as early as tomorrow. Or could have a hearing, poss next Thursday in NYC.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">June 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What's your problem today? I've ever said anything about Davis before, so OBVIOUSLY I'm into criticizing him. In fact I do it ALL THE TIME, or, that's right, once. He should have said, "no comment" and moved on. Just thinking out loud, since you're all into criticizing posters, I dunno.

You're right. My comment was out of line and uncalled for. I apologize Nevado. I have no issue with you.

Davis probably should have said no comment. That alone would convey that he wasn't happy with Manny's actions. but my point remains, it could very well be that the players did not and do not support what Manny pulled over the weekend.

You missed the point. Shocking. And if his knee is being held together by rubber bands and bubble gum, like you would all make us believe, then he should be put on the DL. Who knows, he might trip over his own feet trying to avoid a tag and fall down and injure it again. That would be embarrassing. Pitchers have been intentionally hitting batters since the beginning of the game, forever. When a pitcher throws at a batter, there should be repurcussions, he's putting that single player in danger. When a batter throws a heavy piece of lumber with all of his might into an area where coaches, umps, and players are, and without any of the accuracy that a pitcher can hurl a ball with, well, if you don't see the difference, Whodathunkit?[/QUOT

Totally disagree that it is harder to dodge a bat at 60 feet thrown than a baseball thrown at you at 92 mph. Heck even a fat guy like John Goodman would know that!

You're right. My comment was out of line and uncalled for. I apologize Nevado. I have no issue with you.

Davis probably should have said no comment. That alone would convey that he wasn't happy with Manny's actions. but my point remains, it could very well be that the players did not and do not support what Manny pulled over the weekend.

Nor I with you. No worries.

My fear is that comments like Davis' go a long way and can have an even more negative effect on a guy who just came off the worst weekend of his professional career. He doesn't need his teammates and friends saying what they would do in that situation because they aren't in that situation. Does what Machado did reflect poorly on the team? Absolutely, 100%. Not supporting your teammate even by avoiding the question also speaks volumes. That's all. I'm a huge Davis fan and I never get involved in these types of discussions but if I were at work and had my colleagues doing something like this I would feel somewhat betrayed. Just my $0.02.

Archived