MLB will suspend Machado for five games. Machado plans to appeal.

Greg

Yeah, pitchers throw at batters many times a year. Batters don't throw baseball bats into the field of play because they are angry. There are coaches, players, umps out there. Its reckless and should never happen, its "not a part of baseball" like pitching in.

I am glad to know when you were 21 you didn't do anything stupid out anger.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez. I don't know about you guys, but I'm very sick of this topic already. Hopefully Manny ends up having a good year and doesn't have any problems. And the O's beat the hell out of the Redsox for the rest of this series and we can talk about baseball again.

What's your problem today? I've ever said anything about Davis before, so OBVIOUSLY I'm into criticizing him. In fact I do it ALL THE TIME, or, that's right, once. He should have said, "no comment" and moved on. Just thinking out loud, since you're all into criticizing posters, I dunno.

He should have no comment. No doubt about that.

All that said I think its an interesting look at what is likely the sentiment in the clubhouse.... If his own teammates look at the situation and feel he deserved what he got, he prob did IMO.

I don't think it will cause any chemistry issues, Manny is a smart but young and this is a learning experience that I suspect one day he will talk about as being a learning experience in his development. I would rather the prob be nipped in the butt now than become more pervasive later.

Okay, can we just stop with this? We ALL did stupid things at 21...ALL of us. That said, how many 21 year olds have played in the Majors at that age? I'd say quite a few. Now, easier question...how many of them got angry and hurled a bat into the infield?

This wasn't a "mistake" that 21 year olds make. This was a blatant disregard for the safety of others.

I did plenty of stupid things, but I never recklessy endangered someone. If I had those type of "stupid moments", well, they wouldn't have given me a gun for work.

I did but I also was fairly punished for doing so. Just like Manny should be. That's how we learn.

I think his teammates will help him through this and he will be a better person and player for going through it. Its not easy growing up and becoming an adult in the public spotlight. He deserves to be punished but also deserves the opportunity to show he made a mistake and has learned from it. I have no reason to believe that his teammates will not be there for him if he approaches it that way. Davis included

Yesterday before his apology to Roch, there were reports that Jones, Nick, and O'Day had some advice for Manny behind closed doors. Its in the closed thread I believe?
I had not heard that.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck said the players were meeting with Machado while he was addressing the media. Fairly confident his peers will help Machado in this.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="
">June 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, Darren O'Day DID let Machado know what they thought of his actions.</p>— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="

">June 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Found it.

Yesterday before his apology to Roch, there were reports that Jones, Nick, and O'Day had some advice for Manny behind closed doors. Its in the closed thread I believe?

Gary Thorne said something very similar during last nights broadcast.

Essentially they had a players only closed door meeting.

I'm sure that played a big part in manny's apology. I'm more than satisfied with his response and have no problem with him appealing his suspension after apologizing.

It's SOP.

Ugh. I don't agree. I think he is Buck's pet peeve with no hope of meaningful value. I think Clevenger and his bat should be working on whatever Buck feels he isn't good at the major league level.

Hundley had a few games and ....crickets.

He is a better defender than Clevenger.

Okay, can we just stop with this? We ALL did stupid things at 21...ALL of us. That said, how many 21 year olds have played in the Majors at that age? I'd say quite a few. Now, easier question...how many of them got angry and hurled a bat into the infield?

This wasn't a "mistake" that 21 year olds make. This was a blatant disregard for the safety of others.

You are right Dipper. I apologize.

Found it.

Good. This is exactly how a clubhouse should work.

I hope we can all look back at this even at the end of the season regardless were we end up in the standings and see it as the flame that lit the fire (in an appropriate way) that got Manny back on track both in terms of on the field play and maturity. He is a hardworking kid, I am guessing he will learn the lesson necessary.

Archived