Where will Reimold go? (Update: DFA)

Aglets

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the FO can't deal him and is convinced he would be claimed if put on waivers, they might just release him. That would eliminate their ability to outright him (if he were not claimed on waivers), but it also would make Reimold a free agent, enabling him to sign with the team that offers him the best opportunity rather than being stuck with whomever claims him. That would at least increase the odds that he would sign with a National League team.

We've been through this routine a bit before weams. I know you believe that Reimold's salary (~$500K for the remainder of the year) is too rich for most teams' tastes, but I respectfully and completely disagree. The difference between $500K and like 250K or whatever the pro-rated part of the major league minimum is.... is peanuts to many major league teams.

Are you saying you believe Reimold will pass through waivers unclaimed? I would be willing to bet that that does not happen.

I've been hesitant to throw down a concrete prediction in this case, but I'd be very surprised if Reimold gets claimed.
I'd rather have Reimold on my 25 than David Lough

The Orioles won't pay his salary for him to play elsewhere. I do not believe he would be claimed.

Sometimes things click and guys that are 31 (and have less than 1,100 career PA) have career years that far surpass expectations.

See the guy we're trotting out there in LF every night now.

I agree you cannot make plans expecting that to happen though, because it often doesn't.

But I think most people would say going into the 2014 season that Reimold had more upside for the year than Steve Pearce.

If I was a GM and I had a need for offense help at OF/DH, I'd be foolish not to make a pass at Nolan.

But if I'm the O's and I am getting good production there and Reimold would be largely redundant (even best case scenario).....it makes sense that they DFA'd him.

I certainly never thought this. The likelihood of Nolan being effective and remaining healthy was and is slim to none.

If the FO can't deal him and is convinced he would be claimed if put on waivers, they might just release him. That would eliminate their ability to outright him (if he were not claimed on waivers), but it also would make Reimold a free agent, enabling him to sign with the team that offers him the best opportunity rather than being stuck with whomever claims him. That would at least increase the odds that he would sign with a National League team.

But then the O's would have to pay him the rest of this year's salary. I think DD wants to keep Reimold, but I don't think they are super worried about Reimold igniting Boston's playoff run. They could trade him to a NL team for a bag of balls if they want to direct him away from the AL (if any NL team wants him; he is better suited for the AL).

But then the O's would have to pay him the rest of this year's salary. I think DD wants to keep Reimold, but I don't think they are super worried about Reimold igniting Boston's playoff run. They could trade him to a NL team for a bag of balls if they want to direct him away from the AL (if any NL team wants him; he is better suited for the AL).

They would be responsible for the portion of his salary beyond the minimum, which would be somewhere around 250K. Maybe they trade him for a ptbnl (which probably becomes cash).

Reimold would probably do pretty well with that monster in Boston. If anyone claims him, I think it'll be the Sox.

The Sox already have a glut of OF's/DH.

Ortiz

Holt

Betts

Bradley Jr

Gomes

Nava

Victorino (DL)

Carp (DL)

I think the Sox might be 30th on my list of teams I could see him going.

On the other hand, the ceiling for Reimold is much higher offensively and he gives you solid AB with good speed. He's a good next up guy when/if Pearce cools off.

I don't think this is true anymore.

Nolan will be 30 in October.

He can't stay healthy.

His entire pedigree is hitting well in minors when he was young and having two tantalizing half seasons in the majors in 2009 and 2011.

He can't stay healthy.

He may still be the next best buy up if Pearce cools off, but I don't think his 'ceiling' is still a factor.

We've been through this routine a bit before weams. I know you believe that Reimold's salary (~$500K for the remainder of the year) is too rich for most teams' tastes, but I respectfully and completely disagree. The difference between $500K and like 250K or whatever the pro-rated part of the major league minimum is.... is peanuts to many major league teams.

Are you saying you believe Reimold will pass through waivers unclaimed? I would be willing to bet that that does not happen.

I agree with my 24 brethren here. Most teams in the league will take a flier on $500K IF they have a need. I think Reimold is claimed and either we pull him back, or else he ends up on a team and has a successful rest of the year.

I get the Mr. Glass stuff from many people, but the outright disdain that many seem to show Nolan confuses me. Like I said before, he's been a pretty classy guy for us and always gives 100%.

Injuries are random events. I get a kick out of those that are convinced because Nolan has been hurt a lot, he'll always be hurt. This is often stated as fact when it is pure guess work. I guess the Twins thought the same thing about Hardy.

We should do a friendly pool if he is claimed or not.

The dude had part of one good year and is older. It's possible he is claimed but I would think Peguero would have more value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should do a friendly pool if he is claimed or not.

The dude had part of one good year and is older. It's possible he is claimed but I would think Peguero would have more value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of two good years TYVM.

Injuries are random events. I get a kick out of those that are convinced because Nolan has been hurt a lot, he'll always be hurt. This is often stated as fact when it is pure guess work. I guess the Twins thought the same thing about Hardy.

Smashing into a wall is a random event. Getting hit with a pitch is a random event. Hamstring pulls/tears, labrum tears and slipped discs, for example, are chronic injuries. Do it once and your chances of repeat injury are increased. See: Tyler Townsend.

Smashing into a wall is a random event. Getting hit with a pitch is a random event. Hamstring pulls/tears, labrum tears and slipped discs, for example, are chronic injuries. Do it once and your chances of repeat injury are increased. See: Tyler Townsend.

Nolan had surgery to correct the slipped disc. I believe the "chronic" part of the injury would be if you treated it with rest and didn't do anything about it. If you don't believe injuries are random events, I suppose we should get rid of Manny as he is obviously injury prone as well. I'm not saying I'm sure Nolan will be durable for the next 5-7 years, all I'm saying is that you have no proof he won't be.

Archived