MASN: Dan Duquette Talks Trade Deadline

weams

Right...but would 2-3 years of expensive use of a proven player be worthy of giving up 6 cheap years of Matusz, Arrietta and the rest of the lot that we all had high expectations for? I get the feeling this is being read into more than it was intended. I only meant that IF we could get a guy like Sale in a fair deal that included a top level "prospect" or two...then I'd have to really consider it. Obviously, if it means wiping out the cupboard, then I hang up the phone.

It would mean wiping out the cupboard. It would be like the Bartolo trade. Or the Bedard trade.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would a deal with EdRod + be enough for Zobrist? Would the Rays really have a definitive "no" to trading in the division? I mean Zobrist is 33 so it's not as if he's going to be "hurting" the Rays for long if he was traded here. He's got a team option for next year otherise he's a FA. He's really the perfect fit for us. Career .907 OPS at Camden Yards. Left handed hitter. Could play 2B or LF. High OBP.

Which is another reason why I referenced Sale and not Price or Hamels.

Sale just isn't going to happen. Why would any team trade a top-shelf pitcher who's signed to below market rates for the next five-and-a-half seasons? That what you build around, not trade. Not unless some team just goes absolutely silly and offers up a ridculous package.

For the Orioles to acquire Sale they would have to offer most of their top prospects, meaning they'd be taking a huge risk. You're taking all of the diversified risk of Bundy/Gausman/Harvey/Rodriguez/etc and placing it all on Chris Sale's UCL.

Sale just isn't going to happen. Why would any team trade a top-shelf pitcher who's signed to below market rates for the next five-and-a-half seasons? That what you build around, not trade. Not unless some team just goes absolutely silly and offers up a ridculous package.

For the Orioles to acquire Sale they would have to offer most of their top prospects, meaning they'd be taking a huge risk. You're taking all of the diversified risk of Bundy/Gausman/Harvey/Rodriguez/etc and placing it all on Chris Sale's UCL.

This. Depleting the farm system is something that Duquette is against anyway, so you know a #1 type starter is NOT in the cards.

Personally, I'd stick with what we have in the rotation, target a LH reliever that can get out batters from both sides of the plate, and a possible upgrade at 2B. I think those are two moves that can be made.

http://isportsweb.com/2014/07/06/baltimore-orioles-trade-deadline-starting-pitching-edition/

The next best starting pitcher rumored to be on the market is White Sox ace Chris Sale. Sale has missed some games this season due to injury but currently is 8-1 with a 2.16 ERA. Sale is unhittable at times and at just 25 years old, has many more good years to come. The White Sox have struggled for a few years now and Sale has been a potential trade piece each season. Adding Sale would give the Orioles one of the top left handed pitchers in the game and a starter who is among the best in the AL yearly.

For either of these players, the Orioles would have to give up at least one, if not multiple top prospects, including pitcher Hunter Harvey as rumors have suggested. Likewise, players like Jonathan Schoop have been rumored to be targeted by other teams as pieces of a trade.

Sale just isn't going to happen. Why would any team trade a top-shelf pitcher who's signed to below market rates for the next five-and-a-half seasons?.

Yep. A young top of the rotation starter who is under team control long term is MLB version of having a franchise quarterback. They don't get traded either.

Yep. A young top of the rotation starter who is under team control long term is MLB version of having a franchise quarterback. They don't get traded either.

Most teams with a franchise QB are consistently making the playoffs and thus they don't get traded. Atleast not until they get older, hurt or there is a replacement waiting behind them. Joe Montana.

There is no position in any sport that dominates the outcome of a game or a teams success or lack of, more then the QB does.

This to me is the biggest issue, any pitcher can get hurt at any time with no warning. I would much rather have 5 #2 starters than 1 #1 starter and several back of the rotation guys.

This to me is the biggest issue, any pitcher can get hurt at any time with no warning. I would much rather have 5 #2 starters than 1 #1 starter and several back of the rotation guys.

I agree. What do sale, lee and price have in common? Well, they are all good but also, they have all spent time on the dl in 2014

Darvish-we need an ace' date=' not some 2's and 3's. Go get him.[/quote']

Darvish is just like Sale: an ace signed for many years at below-market rates. The Rangers could easily be back in contention during his current deal. You'd have to offer up crazy, almost nonsensical stuff to cut him loose, if they'd even listen to you.

I agree. What do sale, lee and price have in common? Well, they are all good but also, they have all spent time on the dl in 2014

In the old days, when a SP tweaked a muscle or developed a blister, they skipped a turn or two in the rotation, without going to the DL list.

Now adays, everybody is borderline overly cautious about the health of the pictures, and monitoring pitch counts, and it seams like the pitchers are more fragile.

I mean...yeah, of course, but how many teams have five #2 starters? The O's sure don't. They arguably have a #2 (Tillman, when he's not exiting after one inning) and several #4's who occasionally pitch like #3's. Gausman could be a #1/#2, but he hasn't had enough time to establish himself as such.

Archived