MASN: Dan Duquette Talks Trade Deadline

weams

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the old days, when a SP tweaked a muscle or developed a blister, they skipped a turn or two in the rotation, without going to the DL list.

Now adays, everybody is borderline overly cautious about the health of the pictures, and monitoring pitch counts, and it seams like the pitchers are more fragile.

Let's see how sturdy Don Drysdale or Warren Spahn or Lefty Grove would be throwing as hard as they can for 6-7 innings to lineups that are stocked with 1-9 power hitters, a DH, and guys swinging from the heels on every pitch. Oh, on teams that have paid $millions for their services on contracts that last out 5, 6, 7 years into the future.

Kevin Gausman or Ubaldo or whomever would probably look pretty dominant and durable throwing to 5' 9", 160-lb. Depression-era white guys who never saw a gym in their life and choked up six inches on their 40-ounce hickory bats. Especially when the Orioles owe them exactly $0.00 if they tore their UCL tomorrow, and treated them all accordingly.

Koji will probably throw about 30 innings over 30 games the rest of the year. He'll be able to shorten games a bit less than half the time.

I'm thinking O'Day for the 6th, Hunter the 7th, Britton the 8th, and Koji the 9th.

Yeah, I definitely would like to see a reliever added. You can't have enough of those in September and in the postseason. Second base seems like an obvious need as well. I'm sure they'll kick the tires on a bunch of pitchers, but I'm not sure they can get a real upgrade there without paying dearly for it.

I guess I'm a bit intrigued by Kennedy. We'd have to send Bud Norris or Miggy the other way, though, IMO, there's no point adding another starter without losing one when we already have 6. And we're well stuck with Baldy.

I honestly am dreading this trade deadline (I guess most of them actually) more than I am looking forward to it. Just please don't trade Bundy or Harvey. I don't want to feel the way I do this year about Jake or even Hader; two trades I didn't particularly like at the time and still don't particularly like.

In general, there's just not much good value to be had for a buyer at the trade deadline.

Archived