Gonzo being offered as trade piece.

Redskins Rick

See what he's doing tonight when he's healthy? You don't trade a guy pitching in the AL East and can pitch well against very good offenses for a guy who's pitching in the NL in a pitcher's park having a career year who is expensive and a FA in 2016.

Same old story, though. Don't trade an Oriole who's playing well. Get him on the first bus out of town when he's not playing well.

The problem remains the same: the O's have several pitchers who profile as back-end types (Gonzo included). Is Gonzo really someone who's going to go out and pitch 7-8 innings with 2 ER or less consistently, or is he just in the midst of a good streak?

Of course you don't trade him for another mid/back-end guy (if that's what you believe someone like Kennedy is), because you'd be moving laterally...but don't get gun shy every time someone goes on a mini-roll, either, if there's a legitimate upgrade available.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta hand it to him. Seems every time he may be on thin ice he comes up with a good performance.

Gonzalez has been good three times in a row now, hard to believe he was pitching to keep his job. He may have increased his value though.

Same old story, though. Don't trade an Oriole who's playing well. Get him on the first bus out of town when he's not playing well.

The problem remains the same: the O's have several pitchers who profile as back-end types (Gonzo included). Is Gonzo really someone who's going to go out and pitch 7-8 innings with 2 ER or less consistently, or is he just in the midst of a good streak?

Of course you don't trade him for another mid/back-end guy (if that's what you believe someone like Kennedy is), because you'd be moving laterally...but don't get gun shy every time someone goes on a mini-roll, either, if there's a legitimate upgrade available.

I agree w/ this. And I think Ian Kennedy would mostly be a lateral move. An upgrade, yes. Legitimate? No. We're not talking about a Cliff Lee type here. And while Kennedy has pitched better on the road than at home...he's having a career year in a pitcher's park playing in the NL. You'd be giving up a guy under control until 2018, cheap ($500k) who has proven that he can pitch in the AL East. I'd trade Gonzo for a better pitcher than Kennedy, but Kennedy seems like a mostly lateral move.

I agree w/ this. And I think Ian Kennedy would mostly be a lateral move. An upgrade, yes. Legitimate? No. We're not talking about a Cliff Lee type here. And while Kennedy has pitched better on the road than at home...he's having a career year in a pitcher's park playing in the NL. You'd be giving up a guy under control until 2018, cheap ($500k) who has proven that he can pitch in the AL East. I'd trade Gonzo for a better pitcher than Kennedy, but Kennedy seems like a mostly lateral move.

I mean...I'd probably argue that 2011 was Kennedy's "career year." And he's not exactly having a career year thanks to a pitcher's park if he's performing better away from that park :P I like Kennedy's K and BB numbers, and I think he'd benefit from the O's defense (much like Gonzo has), league change notwithstanding.

That said, the salary difference is a significant issue. Kennedy isn't hugely expensive, but he's a lot more expensive than Gonzo. Which kind of leaves me in the "undecided" category when it comes to making a trade (especially given that it'd take more than just Gonzo to land Kennedy). I doubt there are very many trade scenarios that I'd be 100% happy about.

Being an O's GM is a no-win when it comes to trading, unless it looks like they've fleeced the partner.

Yeah, short of that he's a drunken sailor trading all our valued prospects for fools gold. Also, this first place thing is an illusion.

Back end starter who has a career 3.69 ERA and 111 ERA+. Ranks 21st in ERA among AL starters with 300+ IP the last three years. I'm kind of sick of seeing him dismissed so lightly. Plus, he's inexpensive.

My main point about not trading him is I don't want to count on our other five starters all staying healthy. That ball off Norris' ankle yesterday reminded me how stupid that would be.

Back end starter who has a career 3.69 ERA and 111 ERA+. Ranks 21st in ERA among AL starters with 300+ IP the last three years. I'm kind of sick of seeing him dismissed so lightly. Plus, he's inexpensive.

My main point about not trading him is I don't want to count on our other five starters all staying healthy. That ball off Norris' ankle yesterday reminded me how stupid that would be.

That's my point. Honestly, his numbers compare well, or are better than Ubaldo who we paid $50 million for. Everyone keeps saying the "peripherals" will catch up to him. How long do you have to pitch well before people give you credit for being a good pitcher? It's funny the Orioles find a great value who will be under team control for several years, and people want to run him out of town for an "established" pitcher.

Archived