Orioles - Phillies trade proposal ESPN Insider

Roll Tide

4. Right-hander A.J. Burnett and Papelbon to the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for right-handed pitcher Hunter Harvey, left-handed pitcher Tim Berry and right-handed hurler Parker Bridwell

Howard Smith/USA TODAY Sports

Closer Jonathan Papelbon would make the Orioles the favorites in the AL East.

This deal would make the Orioles the favorites to win the AL East (if they?re not already). It would allow them to move Zach Britton to the setup role, where he can pitch multiple innings, and add a veteran starter in Burnett, who would give them added stability in the rotation.

The Phillies would get a legitimate future starter in Harvey, just 19 years old, who profiles out to be a No. 2 type of starting pitcher with the potential of 15 wins, an ERA under three and a WHIP near 1.00. Berry, 23, is 4-5 this year with a 3.89 ERA and 1.298 WHIP at Bowie of the Eastern League (Double-A), while Bridwell is 4-7 with a 4.27 ERA in 18 starts at Frederick of the Carolina League (high A), with 94 strikeouts in 99 innings, yielding 88 hits.

Again ...I have no interest in Burnett personally ...I do think Papelbon and Utley would be good fits.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again ...I have no interest in Burnett personally ...I do think Papelbon and Utley would be good fits.

Geez I'm not sure I don't pull the trigger on that one. That is too good arms and we lose a prospect and one fringe prospect.

If I'm giving up Hunter Harvey I'm getting something better in return than a 33 year old closer and a 37 year old starter who isn't much better, if any better at all, than our current 5 starters.

And we're giving up Berry and Bridwell too? No thanks.

Geez I'm not sure I don't pull the trigger on that one. That is too good arms and we lose a prospect and one fringe prospect.

There isn't any excess value on Burnett and Papelbon. No way are they worth a Hunter Harvey.

Phills would have to eat a lot of money.

If I'm giving up Hunter Harvey I'm getting something better in return than a 33 year old closer and a 37 year old starter who isn't much better, if any better at all, than our current 5 starters.

And we're giving up Berry and Bridwell too? No thanks.

Depends on the money. I would prefer to keep Harvey. Maybe we could settle on Rodriquez.

There isn't any excess value on Burnett and Papelbon. No way are they worth a Hunter Harvey.

Phills would have to eat a lot of money.

I agree with them eating money if not most of it if Harvey is in the mix. Don't agree with them not being worth Harvey though. They certainly would strenghten us for a playoff run and give us a greater shot of moving on. There is value in that.

I agree with them eating money if not most of it if Harvey is in the mix. Don't agree with them not being worth Harvey though. They certainly would strenghten us for a playoff run and give us a greater shot of moving on. There is value in that.

A player has a certain value. A player has a certain cost.

The cost for Paps and Burnett is high compared to their value.

The cost for Harvey is very low compared to his value.

Therefor Paps + Burnett are not the equivalent of Harvey for trade purposes.

I don't think increased playoff odds and a possible attendance boost make up the difference.

A player has a certain value. A player has a certain cost.

The cost for Paps and Burnett is high compared to their value.

The cost for Harvey is very low compared to his value.

Therefor Paps + Burnett are not the equivalent of Harvey for trade purposes.

No argument if you we are talking eating their contracts. I concede it comes down to how much the Phillies eat in regards to value. If you lower the cost of Burnett and Paps then their value goes up with that logic.

I'd imagine the Phil want to unload that Paps deal though.

Archived