Orioles - Phillies trade proposal ESPN Insider

Roll Tide

Which, of course, is the definition for "percolating".

I don't want any of the Phillies old cast-offs and, especially, their payroll. The insane payroll is what got them here in the first place. And worse, what they would want in return is not worth even discussing IMO. I am in the camp that believes we do not need a Chase Utley-type to some in and play second - the return of good prospect(s) and added payroll is not worth it - I would look elsewhere for someone more cost-effective and doesn't cost (in prospects) as much in return, if we believe a 2B is an essential need to get to and win in the playoffs.

Cliff Lee is a different story - if we wish to go further than the first round we need a boost in the starting pitching, but the only way Lee ends up here without sacrificing serious talent is if we eat his entire cost.

If Utley falls into our laps in a moment of Amaro Despair (no loss of top prospects, help with the salary), I'm all for picking up a rejuvenated LH-bat (we sorely lack LH hitters) who has often been a terror in the post-season at a position that hasn't stabilized for now *five* years running. But his contract is a killer and I think it's unlikely a way can be found for the O's to carry it.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come every trade mentioned with the Phillies makes me want to throw up in my mouth? The goal isn't to ensure the division this year, the goal is to ensure we compete for years to come. I would rather stand pat than trade Harvey, Gausman or Bundy unless someone would be willing to give up a young TOR or young position player, which I don't see happening.

If I'm giving up Hunter Harvey I'm getting something better in return than a 33 year old closer and a 37 year old starter who isn't much better, if any better at all, than our current 5 starters.

And we're giving up Berry and Bridwell too? No thanks.

This is exactly how I feel. Plus Pappelbon is not a team chemistry guy, so there is that.....

I would rather make no trade than this one.

This is exactly how I feel. Plus Pappelbon is not a team chemistry guy, so there is that.....

I would rather make no trade than this one.

They would make Papelbon into one of them immediately. Guy is totally malleable.

What about Gonzo, EdRod , and Bridwell, for Burnett and little Papi?

Since 2B seems to be a black hole WAR-wise for us, wouldn't it make the most sense to trade for a 2B? I love Schoop, but hard not to think logically about it and realize we need an upgrade there to improve the team as a whole.

They would make Papelbon into one of them immediately. Guy is totally malleable.

You know I think as a whole we overrate our prospects, but I would not give up Harvey for those pieces when we don't even need starting pitching all the badly.

What we need is an upgrade at 2B and insurance for the bullpen, neither of which should cost a heck of a lot (given Schoop is very low on the WAR list) and definitely shouldn't cost us Hunter Harvey.

Burnett would have value to a team that doesn't have a decent fifth starter, but he doesn't have much value for the Orioles. Who would he replace in the current rotation, even assuming that Ubaldo will be out for a while?

Papelbon at his current contract has negative value to a franchise.

And we're supposed to give up one of the top 15 prospects in baseball for this?

Burnett would have value to a team that doesn't have a decent fifth starter, but he doesn't have much value for the Orioles. Who would he replace in the current rotation, even assuming that Ubaldo will be out for a while?

Papelbon at his current contract has negative value to a franchise.

And we're supposed to give up one of the top 15 prospects in baseball for this?

Great post. Very bad trade idea.

You know I think as a whole we overrate our prospects, but I would not give up Harvey for those pieces when we don't even need starting pitching all the badly.

What we need is an upgrade at 2B and insurance for the bullpen, neither of which should cost a heck of a lot (given Schoop is very low on the WAR list) and definitely shouldn't cost us Hunter Harvey.

I never said Harvey. I said less. They will take it.

Well. That leaves Philly out. Bastardo maybe. Chase is staying. He won't approve any deal. He's going to the HoF as a Philly.

Archived