Was ERod too much for Andrew Miller

isestrex

ERod for Miller  

224 members have voted

1. 1. ERod for Miller

• It's a steal
    • I'm fine with that price but I'll miss him.
    • Too much: worried about only 2 months of Miller vs a long career of ERod

It's strikes me as funny how we hear all this whining about how we never go for it, we don't want to win blah, blah, and then when they take a shot, and go for it, we hear all this whining about how we have mortgaged the future, blah, blah.

What if I were to tell you, it's possible to "go for it" without mortgaging the future?

If you go back to the 14 years of sorry baseball, they did lots of things miserably.

There isn't a poster here that won't agree with you, about how things used to be.

But, I believe some of us are a bit more optimistic that they are drafting better and they have better arms in the system now.

E-Rod was not the only healthy arm in the system, for you to say so, its just over the top snark, because you are upset and trying to prove your point.

They are drafting better but it isn't like they have done a good job. Matusz and Hobgood are busts and Harvey and Bundy can't stay healthy. The Orioles absolutely need Bundy, Harvey and Gausman to be good major league starting pitchers. At least two of them need to be solid. Gausman has shown flashes but Bundy and Harvey can't stay healthy. My biggest issue is that cheap organizations need cheap talent and the Orioles traded one of their higher prospect to a team in the division for a rental. It's difficult to accept.

The resigning part has little to do with anything. The Orioles traded for two months of Andrew Miller, and the opportunity to ask him if he wanted to resign a deal on the Orioles terms, which he declined. I would never give up much for the right to resign a free agent at free agent market rates.

It's a reach because you've declared Rodriguez an ace after 20 major league innings. He's basically had the same MLB career as Bob Milacki did at the end of the 1988 season.

I haven't declared him an ace. He is, however, a left handed prospect with a lot of upside and they traded him to a team in the division for a rental. Seeing as how they probably won't resign Chen, they could use a lefty for next season.

• Downvote 1

It happens.

Look at Zach Britton, before he mastered his slider and now.

Night and day difference.

Before, he was mid 4 to 5 ERA and showing flashes but could be considered "mediocre".

Now, he is lights out.

There's also the very significant role change with Britton. You can bet he wouldn't be anything like this effective if he was pacing himself for seven innings.

My view is, Britton was on his way to becoming an effective starting pitcher before a sore shoulder got in the way. Once he was recovered he spent the 2013-14 offseason working out with the "heavy balls" and that really seemed to help him. It would not surprise me if he could be an effective starting pitcher now that he's strong, healthy and has some experience under his belt. Would he be as dominant in that role as he is in 1-2 inning stints in relief throwing 90% sinkers? Of course not. But I would not be surprised if he could be as good as the guys in our rotation. I doubt we will find out, though.

So does this mean that we have to give back the AL East title and the series win vs Detroit. 1.4 WAR this season. Even if he doesn't throw a single pitch the rest of the year.

Why would we have to give the title back or the series win? I believe earlier in this thread it was written the Os had a 70% chance of making the playoffs before acquiring Miller.

Miller did not make a big difference in the big scheme of things. If he (or a different pitcher in his place - EdRod himself?) had given up a couple of runs in the regular season or the playoffs, I don't think it would have made a difference.

Why would we have to give the title back or the series win? I believe earlier in this thread it was written the Os had a 70% chance of making the playoffs before acquiring Miller.

Miller did not make a big difference in the big scheme of things. If he (or a different pitcher in his place - EdRod himself?) had given up a couple of runs in the regular season or the playoffs, I don't think it would have made a difference.

He meant to say the ALDS title I suspect.

It's strikes me as funny how we hear all this whining about how we never go for it, we don't want to win blah, blah, and then when they take a shot, and go for it, we hear all this whining about how we have mortgaged the future, blah, blah.

Maybe because the board is made up of different people with different organizational philosophies? I don't know why it would strike you as funny that people have different opinions on a baseball message board.

I think any pitcher would get tattooed by Toronto at this point.

Yep. They are absolutely destroying everyone. They've scored 70 more runs than than the next best team in baseball. That is amazing at this point in the season.

Edited by ChuckS