Much Deserved Separation in the Standings

JR Oriole

Don't look now, but we have won 9 of our last 10 series over the last month and a half. Starters in July put up the best month in ERA in team history since 1981 and that is carrying through to August so far. Ever since Zach took over as closer our bullpen has been rock solid from top to bottom. We have the biggest lead of any division leader, on pace for 92.5 wins, and tied for 3rd in MLB in the win column with only Oakland and the Angels ahead of us. So this is what winning feels like...

I am still concerned about Davis and the sudden collapse of Nelson Cruz, and I am worried that our pitching is due for some regression. Bottom line, we are in a great position. A couple more wins and you can stick a fork in the Jays, then keep everyone healthy and see what happens in the playoffs.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't look now, but we have won 9 of our last 10 series over the last month and a half. Starters in July put up the best month in ERA in team history since 1981 and that is carrying through to August so far. Ever since Zach took over as closer our bullpen has been rock solid from top to bottom. We have the biggest lead of any division leader, on pace for 92.5 wins, and tied for 3rd in MLB in the win column with only Oakland and the Angels ahead of us. So this is what winning feels like...

I am still concerned about Davis and the sudden collapse of Nelson Cruz, and I am worried that our pitching is due for some regression. Bottom line, we are in a great position. A couple more wins and you can stick a fork in the Jays, then keep everyone healthy and see what happens in the playoffs.

I would worry about pitcher regression, if it wasn't our defense that is driving the low ERAs. The O's FIP is bad - but even that improved to "solid" through July. Meanwhile, the Orioles' defense is the biggest driver keeping opponent's run production down and there is no reason to expect that to significantly change over the course of the summer.

Awesome Roch column today with thoughts on where we are overall and some thoughts by Dempsey comparing the current team to 1983. Pitching, defense, three run homers, and great chemistry:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/08/de.html

I decided to compare the stats and give thanks for the Internet.

The 1979 team ranked 18th in the majors with a .261 average, fourth in home runs with 181, third in ERA at 3.28 (the Expos were first at 3.14, if you care) and 21st (going highest to lowest) in errors with 105.

The 1983 team ranked ninth with a .269 average, first in home runs with 168, eighth in ERA at 3.64 and 16th in errors with 98.

Before last night, this year's team ranked 11th with a .257 average, second in home runs with 133 (they hit three more to bypass the Blue Jays), 13th in ERA at 3.67 and 28th in errors with 51.

The Orioles are now tied with the Mariners for fewest errors with 51.

At this point, I'm getting excited about idea of the O's catching the A's for #1 seed in the AL.

The new playoff format deservedly rewards the #1 seed with a reasonable advantage over all the other teams in the playoffs - playing the wild card winner after they've had to play a single elimination game and potentially burned their best available pitcher(s).

How huge would it be for the O's to get the Angels / Jays / Yanks / Mariners, etc. while the A's and Tigers and their "super staffs" duke it out? (Assuming the Angels don't catch the A's...)

And before all the naysayers jump on this post with how it's impossible for the O's to catch the A's, remember Old#5Fan's "Detroit is clearly superior to the O's" thread and how that's worked out for him so far. It's baseball - anything can happen and usually does. :)

Just keeping my eye on the ball, one game at a time. We need to win one more game in Toronto so that the worst we leave there with is a 5 game lead on them. Winning the Toronto series in Toronto would be huge. Come on Wei-yin Chen!!!

At this point, I'm getting excited about idea of the O's catching the A's for #1 seed in the AL.

The new playoff format deservedly rewards the #1 seed with a reasonable advantage over all the other teams in the playoffs - playing the wild card winner after they've had to play a single elimination game and potentially burned their best available pitcher(s).

How huge would it be for the O's to get the Angels / Jays / Yanks / Mariners, etc. while the A's and Tigers and their "super staffs" duke it out? (Assuming the Angels don't catch the A's...)

And before all the naysayers jump on this post with how it's impossible for the O's to catch the A's, remember Old#5Fan's "Detroit is clearly superior to the O's" thread and how that's worked out for him so far. It's baseball - anything can happen and usually does. :)

I'm starting to look at that, but I am more interested in passing the Angels, thereby pretty much securing a playoff unless a collapse of Bostonian proportion happens.

They notice. They just choose not to acknowledge. Now that Boston and Tampa have essentially punted, the national media seemingly either hopes the Yankees get hot or they will completely ignore the AL East altogether.

They will just start reporting on other fun Yankee facts like who Jeter is dating, what the postgame buffet was, or which one of them have athletes foot.

We have 8 more vs the Jays and 10 vs the Yanks. If we can just split both those series it will put us in great shape. They way are schedule looks the rest of the way those two are gonna have to win atleast the series or it will bevery hard on them.

Well, the Orioles are five games back of the Athletics. Same distance as the Blue Jays are back of the Orioles. It's possible.

Archived