vs. CARDINALS, 8/08

OFFNY

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Pitching well/career norms is one thing.  Pitching like this is another thing to wrestle with.
    • Where you go matters. I don’t have any reason to think Arizona’s development system isn’t good. They have clearly developed good players. But who is to say Jones wouldn’t be doing better with us?     I think Elias made the right choice and felt it at the time. Holliday was the only other player I felt should be taken at 1 unless they felt they could unlock whatever plagued Elijah Green. His talent was 1st pick worthy but so many question marks. Still, had the Os taken green, I would have trusted that they saw something easy to fix. But after hearing Elias explain why they took Holliday, it made perfect sense. Still, I don’t think Jones failing means it’s a slam dunk Holliday will be better. Jones is still young and he started off his career with some injury issues, so that put him behind. And maybe if he’s drafted here, we do a better job at developing him. Who knows? Doesnt matter, we have the guy that is likely the better player and that’s all that matters.
    • I don’t get why people are surprised that Irvin is pitching well. It’s almost as if people just looked at a rough start last year and concluded that the SSS of those starts mattered more than an entire career.
    • I think that much of what is perceived as player confidence is actually confidence (or lack thereof) from fans, managers, coaches, announcers, etc. The players have been playing baseball since they were in elementary school, they've all had slumps, all had to adjust to higher levels on multiple occasions, and they've all had runs where the hits all fall in. They'll just keep going out there trying, and adjusting, hoping the successes continue. It's the other people around them who come up with narratives that the player themself has no confidence, or is on some kind of superhuman hot streak where nothing can go wrong. And that's what gets someone benched or demoted or put in the lineup in situations that may not make logical sense.
    • No, but currently in low A ball in what’s considered a hitters league with a .253 AVG, .737 OPS and 37% strikeout rate.    Red flags.
    • Thank you for that correction. Still, that’s nothing and there is nothing to indicate they will be moving Westburg out there. He’s a very big good defensive IFer and I don’t see the logic that they take a known good defensive player and put him in a completely different position just to appease someone that is already playing other positions, some of which are likely more natural for him. It just doesn’t make sense. It lacks logic.  
  • Popular Contributors