Yankees release Brian Roberts

LarryHarlow

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought that was more Dan's decision. If Buck wanted a team first environment why did he play Roberts when Flaherty was starting to hit last year? Buck's penchant for playing vets over younger guys didn't seem like it was best for the team.

I think Dan knew he was done.

I'm just telling you what I heard. I never heard that Buck was too upset Roberts didn't return.

Guest rochester

Nothing personal but isn't he sort of bad luck for a team. Him being released could be a bad sign for us... watch, they'll go on a hot streak...

I'm just telling you what I heard. I never heard that Buck was too upset Roberts didn't return.

I don't doubt you, Tony. He probably had seen enough of him after giving him the chance.

Remember, my brother was the one who leaps out of his seat on any foul ball. ;)

I don't doubt Tony at all. Just find it really interesting, Brian always seemed to have a "good guy" aura about him, never got too much of a prima donna vibe from him....after all this is a guy who spent a pretty damn good career wasting away for an awful Orioles team and chose to stay here. These days, stories and anecdotes get leaked no problem. Whoever kept that stuff under wraps did a damn good job.

Nothing personal but isn't he sort of bad luck for a team. Him being released could be a bad sign for us... watch, they'll go on a hot streak...

Roberts had good stats during his tenure here. However, we just never won when he was in the lineup, ever! For some reason the

team chemistry was just always off. Of course we had no pitching then either. I will just remember him when he played well. I am pretty sure his career is over. No way the O's want him back. I am content with the team we have now. It is all about pitching and chemistry. Team first and having a great coach doesn't hurt. If Buck doesn't want him thats good enough for me.

I think, when he is decidedly retiring, we should sign him for a game and let him retire officially as an Oriole. As down as everyone is on him after the last few years, he gave a lot to some ungodly awful Orioles teams over the years. I think he's earned at least that much.

Picking him up now as a regular player? I just don't see anything he provides that others in the organization don't provide better now.

There are 2 reasons I'd say no:

1. Steroids.

2. Signing with the Yankees.

These are choices he made. I'm not even going to mention the last few years where he took money for not playing - since he didn't choose to get injured. But the other 2 things - he chose.

There are 2 reasons I'd say no:

1. Steroids.

2. Signing with the Yankees.

These are choices he made. I'm not even going to mention the last few years where he took money for not playing - since he didn't choose to get injured. But the other 2 things - he chose.

Well, technically he did give himself the concussion.

Things not to when upset with yourself: hit yourself hard in the head with a wooden baseball bat. :scratchchinhmm:

This is very consistent with things I've heard from others throughout the organization and in baseball circles.

Very interesting, sounds kind of like Teddy Bruschi (who, if you ask some people who know where the bodies are buried in New England sports, so to speak, will tell you that he wasn't very well-liked) in a guy that's very savvy and good about his image with the press and with the fans but is not even close to as popular behind the scenes in the locker room.

Interesting. I wonder if this was always the case or if it was something that developed as he got older. I agree with Moose above that he always had the good guy aura, but a lot of my memories of B-Rob came earlier in his career before the advent of social media really took hold on sports in earnest, so I'll admit that there was limited access to him and athletes could kind of stick to the positives more back then.

Archived