Better utility guy

auzzy98

No. None of them are utility guys. Start with Justin Turner and go down from there.

They might not currently be utility guys, but why couldn't be use them that way? Drew would be a perfect utility guy. Zobrist is getting older and could be used all over the field to spell guys

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many ppl were ripping him, saying they were "done" with Flaherty after 2 costly 9th inning errors in Tampa? What if that was game 7 of the playoffs and Hardy is out?

That was simply emotion. They have said the same about Zach Britton, Chris Davis and Chris Tillman.

The problem is that you would like to stockpile extra starting players and make them wait for an injury. The reality is that is not going to happen.

They might not currently be utility guys, but why couldn't be use them that way? Drew would be a perfect utility guy. Zobrist is getting older and could be used all over the field to spell guys

No, you could not. Zobrist plays six days a week. And is the teams second best player. He is a starter who can play many positions.

I'm not comparing, just wondering. Gosh why do i even post in here. All you do is put words in my mouth

I'm sorry. I was just trying to interact with you. Give your thread a bump and explain why the idea you were talking about might have folks having a different opinion. Did not mean to upset you. I'm done in this thread.

No, you could not. Zobrist plays six days a week. And is the teams second best player. He is a starter who can play many positions.

I know who Zobrist is. He's not going to be able to do that forever. And I'm not solely talking about him. One of these foreign guys(i don;t have any names) that can pick it on the field and hit singles would be great IMO.

I'm sorry. I was just trying to interact with you. Give your thread a bump and explain why the idea you were talking about might have folks having a different opinion. Did not mean to upset you. I'm done in this thread.

Thanks, u could lead with that next time:-)

The problem becomes when either by injury or for other reasons (i.e. like the mistaken belief that Flaherty will somehow become better than he is if he just plays more) , then the utility guy gets too much playing time. In the past, you have either had super utility guys like Zobrist or Melvin Mora- guys who basically almost played every day but just rotated positions versus the true traditional utility guy who has major deficits either in bat (usually) or glove (less usual). With our third base and now shortstop injuries then Flaherty has now being asked to be a regular (of which he is not capable.) I agree it is very hard to find a super utility guy like a Zobrist or Mora, but it is also important that if one of your regulars is going to be out for the season and you are looking at a long stretch of games, then you have to trade for a regular player with the requisite skills. So, I am ok if he is the traditional, little utilized, defensive utility guy and his at bats need to be kept to a minimum. But let's not have any more of this idea that Flaherty is going to morph into a regular. Maybe Flaherty becomes Jeff Reboulet and THAT would be a stretch, imho.

He's had a bunch of errors recently Frob...

I didn't see Games 2 and 3 of the Tampa series and didn't realize he'd made an error in each of those games. Still, he's only made 7 errors on the year, dividing his time between three positions. That's a pretty good showing IMO.

Archived