vs. RED SOX, 9/09

OFFNY

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way, what the hell is that record they were talking about? Cal played hundreds more games for the Orioles than Jeter has for the Yankees or Ott did for the Giants. Is that just a New York City record?

My thinking was it must be a NY record... guess most people can't take it there too long.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• What??? Where’s all this coming from? I didn’t see anybody advocating for this extreme approach. Nor do I see any way that our title contention would be limited to a “2 year run”. Gunnar is 22, Adley 25, Holliday 20, Grayson 24.
    • I'm a little curious here, but not nearly curious enough to run a few hours of a study. But it would be nice to see matched-pair comparisons of arb awards between relievers with, say, 70 innings, 2.50 ERA, 2 saves, and 70 innings 2.50 ERA, 27 saves. Although you'd expect some differences because my going-in assumption is that the leverage index of the closer will be higher. Then we'd have a much better idea of if this effect exists, and how significant it is. Also, if your hypothesis is true it's plausible that if your main goal is to reduce salaries, the best strategy might be to have your ~7th-best pitcher rack up most of the saves since his worse performance might offset the salary impact of having the most saves. That might be more cost-effective than having 11 guys get some saves, but inevitably your best pitcher still gets most of them since you want him there in the highest-leverage situations.
    • I don't doubt Tony's assessment of tools, but I'm not as down on Beavers' as this thread seems to be. Remember, he was always the guy who had the physical stature but hadn't gotten to his power yet. It was always supposed to be the last tool to come.  I also don't want to over react to small sample sizes here. Beavers is in AA for the first time this year. Yes, numbers tend to go up there, but it's also been April/May weather, first time in the league, etc etc. With all of that said, he has 3 HR and 5 2B in 25 games. Over 150 game season, that's 18 HR and 30 2B. That's his pace while playing his first games in AA in relatively cold weather. If he can turn into that type of hitter at the ML level and play plus defense at the corners, he'll be a very valuable player. That's not easy to do, and the profile is different from the power potential that all of Cowser, Kjerstad and Stowers have, but it's still useful, and there's still time for more power to come through.
    • And yet pitchers exist. It's not "far" more. You are just pissy that someone actually bothered to read your drivel and call you on it.
    • Carroll has heated up a little bit from his terrible start, going 6 for his last 21 with a home run. I don't understand the point you're making about 2022. Adley and Gunnar were playing every day down the stretch. Bautista was closing games and Bradish was in the rotation. Grayson was not healthy, he was coming back from a lat strain. The Orioles went 15-18 in September and October, that's why they missed the playoffs. If you want to blame Elias for 2022, blame him for having crappy placeholders at the beginning of the year like Chris Owings and Robinson Chirinos that put the team in a 14-24 hole before Adley came up.
    • I would have to think hard on that and figure out what my plan would be to obtain (through draft or Dominican/International) a young prospect with that kind of skill set. I don’t know if any of our competitors (except the Phillies if you consider them a competitor) could come anywhere close to matching/exceeding a Mayo + Bradfield offer.  I would have to be convinced that someone could beat that offer before agreeing to pull the trigger.  It would also depend on who else was out there to be acquired and what those acquisitions would require. But if I absolutely had to, I would begrudgingly do it.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now