Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

OriolesManiac88

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

Right, you got it. Games played. If we swept our way through the DS and CS, Davis would be eligible for the second game of the WS.

Got it. So realistically if we make it to the 2nd round he'll probably be available late in the ALCS.

God, what a stupid, stupid move by Davis. You don't remember to have an exemption? How does he let this happen? He let down the entire team. Man, the few times we make the playoffs were always down key players. I'm so annoyed!

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got it. So realistically if we make it to the 2nd round he'll probably be available late in the ALCS.

God' date=' what a stupid, stupid move by Davis. [b']You don't remember to have an exemption? How does he let this happen?[/b] He let down the entire team. Man, the few times we make the playoffs were always down key players. I'm so annoyed!

I could be wrong, but I believe that a 25 game suspension occurs for a second violation. First violation mandates further drug testing.

I could be wrong, but I believe that a 25 game suspension occurs for a second violation. First violation mandates further drug testing.

Right. Which makes what he did even dumberer... :) Although, I'm assuming the first time came this season. It may not have. We have no idea when in the past he's had the exemption and when he hasn't.

God' date=' what a stupid, stupid move by Davis. You don't remember to have an exemption? How does he let this happen? He let down the entire team. Man, the few times we make the playoffs were always down key players. I'm so annoyed![/quote']

Not 100% sure if this is correct or not but it may be that we would not be able to add Davis to the roster in the middle of a playoff series that is already underway since playoff rosters have to be set in advance. Not sure if players coming off suspension are exempt to this or not. I'm sure we'll find out definitively at some point.

Your right. Second violation is 25...not sure when the first occurred though...anyone know

I imagine the only way we'd find out is if Davis offered up the information.

When was the first time?

Unclear from what little I've read. Davis' statement said: ""I made a mistake by taking Adderall. I had permission to use it in the past' date=' but do not have a therapeutic use exemption this year.[/b'] I accept my punishment and will begin serving my suspension immediately."

I'd read that to mean that this was the first year he used and didn't have an exemption, which would (probably) place the first violation this year, as well. But that's just reading between the lines.

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that Major League Baseball would allow the Orioles to place Chris Davis on their ALCS roster while he's still suspended.

He'll still have to sit out a few games, though, depending on how many the Orioles have played to that point (Davis can't play in the team's first eight playoff games). The O's would also have to play a man short if they choose to put Davis on the roster, so it's unclear whether they'd consider it or not.

Interesting. Doubt they play shorthanded like that.

When was the first time?

No way to know. They don't suspend players for a first time amphetamine positive. We only find out when they are tied to a suspension, which comes with your second positive test.

It's easy to assume the first positive came this year partly because he said he's had an exemption in the past. But who knows? It could have happened in Texas for all we really know.

No way to know. They don't suspend players for a first time amphetamine positive. We only find out when they are tied to a suspension, which comes with your second positive test.

It's easy to assume the first positive came this year partly because he said he's had an exemption in the past. But who knows? It could have happened in Texas for all we really know.

I am assuming those violations carry over from one year to the next so if you had one say 2yrs ago and then one now, this would still be the second.

Not sure how that works though.

Right. Which makes what he did even dumberer... :) Although, I'm assuming the first time came this season. It may not have. We have no idea when in the past he's had the exemption and when he hasn't.

My understanding is he has not filed for an exemption in either of the past two seasons.

I hear ya, and it's a very interesting question. It seems to me that they hand out so many of these exemptions that, presumably, some players get them that shouldn't. This leads me to believe that if a player is truly in need of Adderall for ADHD (or whatever), said player would get that exemption.

Don't they handle these exemption via a panel of doctors? Team doctor, player doctor, independent doctor? I have no idea. I could be totally making that up.

A panel would make more sense than a single doctor like I've been assuming.

Archived