Olney On Qualifying Offer Candidates

Greg

Not much of an improvement at SS or 3b for a discount.

Shortstops

Mike Aviles (34) ? $3.5MM club option with a $250k buyout

Clint Barmes (36)

Asdrubal Cabrera (29)

Stephen Drew (32)

Rafael Furcal (37)

J.J. Hardy (32)

Jed Lowrie (31)

John McDonald (40)

Nick Punto (37) ? $2.75MM club/vesting option with a $250K buyout

Hanley Ramirez (31)

Third Basemen

Alberto Callaspo (32)

Jack Hannahan (35) ? $4MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Chase Headley (31)

Kelly Johnson (33)

Donnie Murphy (32)

Nick Punto (37) ? $2.75MM club/vesting option with a $250k buyout

Aramis Ramirez (37) ? $14MM mutual option with a $4MM buyout

Hanley Ramirez (31)

Mark Reynolds (32)

Pablo Sandoval (28)

Kevin Youkilis (36)

Exactly, something I mentioned months ago, when we were discussing Hardy and if the team should resign for 2015 and that was with a healthy Manny at the time.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, if Nick signs a three year deal he has a decent chance of ending his career third in team history in hits and doubles. The Orioles have never retired a uniform number for a non Hall of Fame player and I don't expect them to make an exception for Markakis, but if he reaches those spots he is in the conversation with Brady Anderson and Boog Powell as the Orioles most successful non-Hall of Famer.

They may not retire the number officially, but I suspect that the number will never be reassigned to another player.

They may be willing with Nick so long as he signs a reasonable contract. There is value is keeping a player around his whole career. Value to the organization long term.

See: Jim Palmer, Cal Ripken, Brady Anderson, etc, etc...

Yep, if Nick signs a three year deal he has a decent chance of ending his career third in team history in hits and doubles. The Orioles have never retired a uniform number for a non Hall of Fame player and I don't expect them to make an exception for Markakis, but if he reaches those spots he is in the conversation with Brady Anderson and Boog Powell as the Orioles most successful non-Hall of Fame position player.

They may not retire the number officially, but I suspect that the number will never be reassigned to another player.

They assigned Brady Anderson's number almost immediately. I think Nick has a ways to go to end up with a significantly better reputation than Brady. Surely a World Series championship or two would go a long way to help!

They assigned Brady Anderson's number almost immediately. I think Nick has a ways to go to end up with a significantly better reputation than Brady. Surely a World Series championship or two would go a long way to help!

Brady went onto play elsewhere, if he had ended with Baltimore, it might have been a different story with his number.

Shortstops

Clint Barmes (36)

Asdrubal Cabrera (29)

Stephen Drew (32)

Rafael Furcal (37)

J.J. Hardy (32)

Jed Lowrie (31)

John McDonald (40)

Hanley Ramirez (31)

Third Basemen

Alberto Callaspo (32)

Chase Headley (31)

Kelly Johnson (33)

Donnie Murphy (32)

Hanley Ramirez (31)

Mark Reynolds (32)

Pablo Sandoval (28)

Kevin Youkilis (36)

This is also exactly why someone else is going to offer JJ a lot of money.

Since we don't have a lot of excess value in the farm system, where do you propose to get it if we don't sign Hardy? Are other team' free agents more likely to give us excess value than Hardy is? I want to understand what alternative you propose if Hardy isn't signed. Is there a price at which you would re-sign Hardy (let's assume a 3-year deal), and if he won't sign for that, what's our course of action?

Maybe you don't get it from SS. It's not a black and white problem like you say it is. You either let Hardy walk and don't replace his value, or you gamble and maybe overpay a little/risk his issues to maintain that productivity from the SS position. Maybe you lose a certain level of production from SS, but make it up elsewhere because you invested the money in upgrading a different position that is giving you a greater return on your investment. Maybe you offer JJ a QO, take the pick, and then trade one of your more established minor league players. Etc.

Shortstops

Clint Barmes (36)

Asdrubal Cabrera (29)

Stephen Drew (32)

Rafael Furcal (37)

J.J. Hardy (32)

Jed Lowrie (31)

John McDonald (40)

Hanley Ramirez (31)

Third Basemen

Alberto Callaspo (32)

Chase Headley (31)

Kelly Johnson (33)

Donnie Murphy (32)

Hanley Ramirez (31)

Mark Reynolds (32)

Pablo Sandoval (28)

Kevin Youkilis (36)

Mark Reynolds Part 2, Manny to SS.

I keed! :002_stongue:

I didn't think my two line reply even "tore apart" his post' date=' let alone attempted to. But if we are going to say it did, lets just go all the way with it![/quote']
I would like for the O's to offer JJ a 2 year 26 mil contract with an option for a 3rd and then we can continue to watch the best left side of the infield in baseball play for us. (Of course this is when Manny plays)
But why would Hardy take two years? This is his last chance at a payday. For the past 3 years he's been getting paid less than his on-field performance would dictate. If you're Hardy you are looking for 3 years guaranteed at minimum.

He's posting his preference. You're telling him he's wrong. You're comment came off as you telling him he's wrong that you know something we don't about what Hardy personally will be wanting. Which I'm pretty sure you don't.

He's posting his preference. You're telling him he's wrong. You're comment came off as you telling him he's wrong that you know something we don't about what Hardy personally will be wanting. Which I'm pretty sure you don't.

My post really came across as I "know" something personally about JJ Hardy? So anyone that says Andrew Miller is probably going to want big money at the end of this year, is coming across as if they know Miller personally?

My post was a question of why would he take a two year deal for less than market value. I then stated two things that I think most would probably agree are true statements: Hardy has been playing for far below his market value, and that a 34 year old SS doesn't really get big paydays, so this is his last chance to really cash in. So why would Hardy turn his back on the contract that is waiting for him? If me asking a question, and then using a couple of logical truths to further flush out the question, is me tearing apart someone's post, or coming across as Mrs. Hardy, then I don't know what to tell you, except I must really know how to pack a lot into a 2 line question.

Guest rochester
My post really came across as I "know" something personally about JJ Hardy? So anyone that says Andrew Miller is probably going to want big money at the end of this year' date=' is coming across as if they know Miller personally?

My post was a question of why would he take a two year deal for less than market value. I then stated two things that I think most would probably agree are true statements: Hardy has been playing for far below his market value, and that a 34 year old SS doesn't really get big paydays, so this is his last chance to really cash in. So why would Hardy turn his back on the contract that is waiting for him? If me asking a question, and then using a couple of logical truths to further flush out the question, is me tearing apart someone's post, or coming across as Mrs. Hardy, then I don't know what to tell you, except I must really know how to pack a lot into a 2 line question.[/quote']

Why? Some folks actually think that being able to settle in one place is more important - maybe he was upset in ST because he just wants to know where he will be in 2-3 years and doesn't want to uproot his family again. It's not like he needs to squeeze every penny out.

And Miller? IIRC when the Boston media had their "Do you want to come back" he did say he would like to but alluded that it depends on the offer. I don't recall Hardy complaining about the $ just the unknown

Archived