OK, so it looks like Detroit

vab

I'm just saying... I preach and preach pitching pitching pitching pitching pitching pitching pitching. But you also have to have the other facets of the game too. A's don't anymore. Tigers never really did. We're more rounded than any team I can think of.

EDIT: Maybe Anaheim. MAYBE the Nats.

Detroit is a much more fearsome team to face in the playoffs than the Angels or Nats in my opinion. The Orioles were 4-2 against the Angels and though I believe the Nats are better than the Angels we also took the season series from them I believe. That lineup and those starting pitchers have the talent and experience to dominate, especially in a short series. I hope I am wrong but I just don't think so

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes to reach a dream you have to go through a nightmare. On paper, that's what the Tigers are to a lot of us. Well, if you want to reach the ultimate goal you have to face an ultimate test, so history and stats and all the rest be damned. I'd rather play KC, but if it's Detroit, and it's looking like it will be, bring it on.

This is my feeling! We're good. Better than we've been in years. We never give up, no matter how bad it looks. I'll take our chances with this group.

Either way it will be fun to watch!

Right with their starters dominating our weakened Manny and Davis less offense they don't need a bullpen, just a closer. To all you Pollyannas espousing the Orioles will beat them because of their lousy pen, it sure wasn't the case when Detroit swept us in our home yard this season. So that holds no water at all.

Manny is career .196/.260/.239/.499 against Detroit.

Davis is .217/.308/.261/.569 this year, a little better over his career.

If you're going to miss Manny against the Tigers, miss his defense.

Buck say he is picking his starters based on matchups. Just look at the O's starters numbers vs the Tigers. Then know that Buck has made sure that Chen dodgers the righthanded hitting lineup of the Tigers.

True. Matchups will play into it. We'll see. :noidea:

Buck say he is picking his starters based on matchups. Just look at the O's starters numbers vs the Tigers. Then know that Buck has made sure that Chen dodgers the righthanded hitting lineup of the Tigers.

You may be right. Detroit has a lineup that wears down a starter especially the further in the game. They will score runs against us and I am worried that our offense won't be as good in scoring against them. Even with both Manny and Chris Davy's I would be worried but just not nearly as much.

You may be right. Detroit has a lineup that wears down a starter especially the further in the game. They will score runs against us and I am worried that our offense won't be as good in scoring against them. Even with both Manny and Chris Davy's I would be worried but just not nearly as much.

Detroit is 2nd in Offense, the O's are 7th. Detroit is 23rd in Pitching, the O's are 7th. Detroit is 17th in defense, the O's are 2nd. You are making it seem like the O's have no chance in this series because Detroit is 5-1 against the O's in the first month of the season.

Edit: Please tell me how they have a lineup that wears down a starter? They have 2 players in the top 40 in baseball in Pitches Per Plate Appearance. I see no evidence that they wear starters down at a greater rate then other teams. Maybe I'm missing the stat somewhere, I can't find team rankings, only players.

Lets also not forget that two years ago the Orioles were also playing a team nobody wanted to face because of past performance. Different circumstances and the Orioles are obviously a more talented team now than they were then. But, it was the same principle, I believe they also went 1-5 against Texas that year, had struggled against them for several seasons, and of course were starting a guy with horrendous career numbers in Texas and were facing Yu Darvish. They won that game. It doesn't mean they'll beat Detroit, but it means that in the playoffs, history and what you've done during the regular season mean absolutely nothing. Bring it.

Right with their starters dominating our weakened Manny and Davis less offense they don't need a bullpen, just a closer. To all you Pollyannas espousing the Orioles will beat them because of their lousy pen, it sure wasn't the case when Detroit swept us in our home yard this season. So that holds no water at all.

I'm pretty sick of your banging the drum on this topic. You posted a thread saying how great the Tigers were months ago, and we proceeded to outplay them for the next four months. We are 7 games better than the Tigers, and 12 games better than them since June 1. They are playing well right now and we are a bit banged up, so they'll be a difficult matchup in the playoffs. But your thread was WRONG, we've been the better team this year by a wide margin, and I am not at all afraid of playing the Tigers in the playoffs though of course it is possible they could beat us in a short series.

I'm pretty sick of your banging the drum on this topic. You posted a thread saying how great the Tigers were months ago, and we proceeded to outplay them for the next four months. We are 7 games better than the Tigers, and 12 games better than them since June 1. They are playing well right now and we are a bit banged up, so they'll be a difficult matchup in the playoffs. But your thread was WRONG, we've been the better team this year by a wide margin, and I am not at all afraid of playing the Tigers in the playoffs though of course it is possible they could beat us in a short series.

I completely agree. Some people are afraid of everything. I guess if we finish next year 20 games back we won't have to worry about this.

Archived