OK, so it looks like Detroit

vab

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you don't think the Tigers are the stronger team? What about their superior record against the O's this year?

Of course I have the belief they are the stronger team but not because if their overall record. That is no indicator of anything when it comes to a playoff series or WS as you well know if you recall 1997 team or 69 team.

Angels? They're pretty fearsome. I don't especially fear them but they are pretty good!

I think either Detroit of the 0's take them as they are overrated here just because they have one less than a handful more games than the O's . We sure didn't have much trouble beating them in the regular season

I have told everyone here that the Orioles simply don't have the horses that Detroit has, especially when it comes to offense and starting pitching. Yes the Orioles have a much better bullpen and defense but in a playoff series Detroit has the big advantage and will be heavily favored and probably picked to sweep by many experts.

The same experts who predicted the Orioles to mop up the bottom of the AL East this season, no doubt.

I think either Detroit of the 0's take them as they are overrated here just because they have one less than a handful more games than the O's . We sure didn't have much trouble beating them in the regular season

If you want to talk about irrational fears...

St. Louis scares me more than anybody.

O's v DET by position

C .695-.676

1B .773-.990

2B .617-.725

3B .717-.713

SS .693-.582

LF .837-.818

CF .762-.723

RF .744-.767

DH .798-.953

SP ERA 3.61-3.81

WHIP 1.29-1.26

K/9 6.87-7.63

With the exception of Cabrera and Martinez we are pretty evenly matched on offense and the SP is pretty close when you factor in the O's superior defense. We have the better bullpen, and we have a much better manager.DET is no slam dunk over the O's IMO.

O's v DET by position

C .695-.676

1B .773-.990

2B .617-.725

3B .717-.713

SS .693-.582

LF .837-.818

CF .762-.723

RF .744-.767

DH .798-.953

SP ERA 3.61-3.81

WHIP 1.29-1.26

K/9 6.87-7.63

With the exception of Cabrera and Martinez we are pretty evenly matched on offense and the SP is pretty close when you factor in the O's superior defense. We have the better bullpen, and we have a much better manager.DET is no slam dunk over the O's IMO.

Yeah but that is a heck of an exception you seem to easily write off in Martinez and Cabrera who are probably the two best hitters on one team in the majors.

Yeah but that is a heck of an exception you seem to easily write off in Martinez and Cabrera who are probably the two best hitters on one team in the majors.
No two players make that big a difference no matter who they are. They might give DET an edge but not an overwhelming advantage. The teams are close enough overall that the way the ball bounces will be the major difference, and since we catch the ball when it bounces a lot better than they do I like our chances.

Actually it is way more stupid and goes against history to assume a team is the best in the league if they have the most regular season wins. The best team in the league will be determined by who wins the AL championship which last time I checked involved winning the playoffs. IMO I think that will most likely be Detroit or the O's if they could somehow get by the Tigers.

Whoever wins the Divisional or League Championship series is just that - the Divisional or League Champions. That's what is decided in those five- and seven-game series. Do you honestly believe you can better judge who is the BETTER team in the league in a five- or seven-game series than by what they did in 162??? Sorry, but that's not rational. Were the 2006 Cardinals - 83-78, the 13th best record in baseball and fifth best in the NL - really the best team in their league or in baseball that year, or simply the World Series Champions? Were the 1987 Minnesota Twins - 85-77, 9th best record in baseball that year, 5th best in the AL - really the best team in their league or baseball that year, or simply the World Series Champions? (Were the 1969 100-62 Mets really better than the 109-53 Orioles, except for those five games at the end?)

The one who wins the most games in the regular season is generally the better team in the league that year (accounting for different divisions), but the better team does not always win the championship. And remember, you referred to who was the "best in the league," not who was "best in the league after the regular season."

Here are some interesting comparisons between the Orioles and Tigers.

ERA Since Allstar Break

Orioles 2.84, #1 in AL, #1 in MLB

Tigers 4.07, #11 in AL, #23 in MLB

OPS Since Allstar Break

Tigers .736, #1 in AL

Orioles .735, #2 in AL (tied)

September

Record: Orioles 14-6, Tigers 12-7

ERA: Orioles 2.50, Tigers 3.71

OPS: Orioles .755, Tigers .819

Opponents OPS: Orioles .625, Tigers .724

For September, the Orioles OPS has been 130 points higher than opponents, while the Tigers OPS has been 95 points higher than their opponents. The Orioles have been the more dominant team for the year (93-62 to 86-69, a 7-game lead), since the Allstar Break (41-20 to 33-31), and in September (14-6 to 12-7).

No two players make that big a difference no matter who they are. They might give DET an edge but not an overwhelming advantage. The teams are close enough overall that the way the ball bounces will be the major difference, and since we catch the ball when it bounces a lot better than they do I like our chances.

Omg what balderdash! If you truly believe that you should retire from any baseball type posts here! You espousing that taking away the top two hitters from a team especially when they are probably both top five in the majors doesn't matter??? You think taking Cruz and Jones out of the Orioles lineup especially in a tight one run game doesn't matter? That is probably about the most absurd posting I have read here in 10 years of following this site!!!!

Archived