Hardy Extension Announced Today

WarehouseChatter

First paragraph of the first google hit for "bonilla mets contract".

The article makes it sound like the Mets got a decent deal but I question the 8% a year roi they are using.

I believe the 5.9 million was much less then the 29.5 million though with the interest in the account they had it in. Well untill the Bernie scandal which blew that all up.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back of napkin projection: (the starting value is based on his 2015 Steamer projection.)

2015: 2.7 wins @6 million/win = 16.2 million

2016: 2.2 wins @6.5 million/win = 14.3 million

2017: 1.7 wins @7 million/win = 11.9 million

We're paying below-market rates for his projected production. Which says a lot about the Orioles org that we can get him to forego a potentially much larger extension from another team to stick around. Aside from that, it's hard to argue with the deal IMO. If we want to remain competitive, we aren't filling our gaps via IFA or the draft, and if he beats the projections by even a little bit, it turns into a great deal for the O's.

Guest rochester
Whom was the Shortstop that we wanted to trade Reimold for that got nixed by Angelos?

Angelos didn't nix it.. IIRC Brady strongly recommended against it

Could there be a more obvious bad move then extending a 34 year old DH in the midst of a career year?

Meh. He had a career year partially because he stayed healthy and partially because he played in Camden yards (although I also think he hit very well on the road).

The guy is a talent. It's not like this was completely out of the blue, he's been a fantastic hitter his entire career and even more valuable, extremely clutch in the postseason his entire career which absolutely bumps up his value in my opinion.

Ortiz is still putting up huge numbers late in his career as a DH. Several other guys around the league are also contributing into their mid to late 30's.

With modern medicine being what it is, guys are playing longer and longer.

I see zero reason this rumored Cruz extension isn't a good idea provided it's not more than 3 years and he doesn't cost too much money.

Hopefully he loves buck and Baltimore enough that he is interested in giving us a bit of a hometown deal.

Considering the value he gave us this year for 8 mil, we can reward the guy with some extra money provided Angelos is ok with bumping the payroll.

Plus if it keeps him out of the Yankees lineup, the contract almost doubles in value regardless of what we pay him.

Archived