Billy Butler has a $12.5M team option for 2015.....what happens?

Aglets

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People whined about the Kung Fu Panda's (can't remember his real name) weight when he just has a weird shaped body, but Butler is clearly over-weight, and it showed in his production. He's a talent, but I would not be interested.

His weird shape is 300 lbs.

Sandoval.jpg

Maybe he would be easier had if the Orioles absorbed BJ Upton.

Wieters and Norris for BJ Upton, Gattis, Minor, and a prospect and/or cost controlled bullpen arm? Got to admit I am not the best at this hah.

Upton's contract has too much negative value on it. He's a negative WAR player making 15 million a year. He alone would probably eat up the value you are getting for Gattis, or at least most of the value. Assuming Atlanta would want Norris and Wieters, their contracts have some value on them. So you're giving away contracts with some value, and taking two contracts that basically wash each other out.

Upton's contract has too much negative value on it. He's a negative WAR player making 15 million a year. He alone would probably eat up the value you are getting for Gattis' date=' or at least most of the value. Assuming Atlanta would want Norris and Wieters, their contracts have some value on them. So you're giving away contracts with some value, and taking two contracts that basically wash each other out.[/quote']

Nice summary.

People whined about the Kung Fu Panda's (can't remember his real name) weight when he just has a weird shaped body, but Butler is clearly over-weight, and it showed in his production. He's a talent, but I would not be interested.

I have a feeling that if Butler signed with us, Brady Anderson would become his new best friend. Whether he liked it or not. [emoji38]

Written with fantasy in mind, but just today FG posted this about Butler's horrible year:

Well, that sure explains things quite a bit. Butler ? the very same guy who mashed 29 homers two years ago ? just spent an entire season swinging at nearly half of the pitches he saw that crossed the plate below the zone. That is about the best recipe for a power outage I could ever dream up. What are you doing swinging at that stuff, Billy? If you?re a supposed power hitter, it?s probably best to lay off pitches that require a 9-iron to hit in the air, especially if you?re as slow as Billy Butler.

Butler is aging, and not athletic. His bat speed is going, and I would hope they don't spend a dime on him.

Butler is 28 years old.

It is very likely that buying low on a guy like Butler will be the solution for the holes we need to fill at DH, corner OF spot, and possibly 1B.

Butler is 28 years old.

It is very likely that buying low on a guy like Butler will be the solution for the holes we need to fill at DH, corner OF spot, and possibly 1B.

Butler is in decline. He's not an athlete and has no position other than DH. I heard scouts talking about his lack of bat speed already. Not all players decline equally. Butler is no raw athlete or physical specimen. I don't call spending near 13M dollars on a player "buying low".

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Butler is in decline. He's not an athlete and has no position other than DH. I heard scouts talking about his lack of bat speed already. Not all players decline equally. Butler is no raw athlete or physical specimen. I don't call spending near 13M dollars on a player "buying low".

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Do you really think he will be paid 13M if he doesn't play for the Royals next year?

Archived