Billy Butler has a $12.5M team option for 2015.....what happens?

Aglets

Do you really think he will be paid 13M if he doesn't play for the Royals next year?

I know he owes his team money this year. He was negative WAR on the season. He'll be a year older, fatter and slower. I wouldn't want him at the league minimum.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know he owes his team money this year. He was negative WAR on the season. He'll be a year older, fatter and slower. I wouldn't want him at the league minimum.

Yes, he had a bad year but to say you wouldn't want him at the league minimum is hyperbole at best.

No, really. I mean it.

So you wouldn't want to sign a guy who is under 30 and has a higher career OPS+ then any regular on last years team for 500k? I'm sorry but that is the definition of hyperbole.

So you wouldn't want to sign a guy who is under 30 and has a higher career OPS+ then any regular on last years team for 500k? I'm sorry but that is the definition of hyperbole.

He just means that he does not want out DH to produce minus WAR.

So I guess you are angry that we signed Delmon Young? He's actually had a "Negative WAR" four times in his career.

Did he do anything positive for us this year?

No. I actually liked Delmon. Just not as a full time player. As a pinch hitter DH I liked his contribution.

No. I actually liked Delmon. Just not as a full time player. As a pinch hitter DH I liked his contribution.

Ok, so Delmon Young at 1M, which may be as much as 1.75M, is ok. Butler at 500K, as in this hypothetical, with much better career numbers is bad.

Thanks for the debate, but if we aren't using logic or facts then I'm good.

Depending on the price, as usual. But the Orioles should definitely be in on Butler. His market is extremely limited and he's coming off a down year. He's certainly not guaranteed to bounce back, and there is some risk, but there was also plenty of risk with Cruz. Sometimes you get Cruz, sometimes you get Guerrero. But if the choice is between something like 2/30 for Cruz and 1/6 for Butler, you go Butler all day every day. Steamer predicts a .779 line for next year, which is, surprise, only .015 points less than Cruz's predicted line: .794. Buy low, sell high. Cruz out, Butler in.

In the end he may not make sense for the Orioles. I'm certain Buck would not like the fact that Butler is a DH only. But the folks adamantly against the idea of Butler are thinking far too rigidly and placing far too much emphasis on one year.

Ok, so Delmon Young at 1M, which may be as much as 1.75M, is ok. Butler at 500K, as in this hypothetical, with much better career numbers is bad.

Thanks for the debate, but if we aren't using logic or facts then I'm good.

I don't think I was debating. I think you were fighting with someone else. I just told you why he feels as he does.

Depending on the price, as usual. But the Orioles should definitely be in on Butler. His market is extremely limited and he's coming off a down year. He's certainly not guaranteed to bounce back, and there is some risk, but there was also plenty of risk with Cruz. Sometimes you get Cruz, sometimes you get Guerrero. But if the choice is between something like 2/30 for Cruz and 1/6 for Butler, you go Butler all day every day. Steamer predicts a .779 line for next year, which is, surprise, only .015 points less than Cruz's predicted line: .794. Buy low, sell high. Cruz out, Butler in.

In the end he may not make sense for the Orioles. I'm certain Buck would not like the fact that Butler is a DH only. But the folks adamantly against the idea of Butler are thinking far too rigidly and placing far too much emphasis on one year.

And his EXTREMELY slow bat. And poor condition.

Archived