You know what really grinds my gears?

Pedro Cerrano

The situations aren't comparable but the bottom line is you root for MD and not UMBC and Towson(and no MWeb, it is not like rooting for the Baysox because we are talking the same level, ie D1)because they are a high profile team that can win championships and are on TV and have national exposure.

Even though most of you probably live closer to Towson, UMBC or Loyola.

This argument is so flawed I don't know where to start.

First off, I went to Maryland so even if your alleged argument held any water it wouldn't apply to me.

Second, the Baysox comparison does work. Look at the number of D1 teams compared to the number of MLB teams. The only similarity between UMBC and the Terps is that they have a chance to play in the same tournament and can play each other because, technically, they are in the same division of college hoops. The comparison ends there.

Here is the REAL bottom line: you are accusing residents of the state of MARYLAND for rooting for a basketball team that represents the state of MARYLAND as being bandwagon jumpers and doing the same thing that you did with dook.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could have started liking the Terps when they became good and said, well it is my state school, so i will root for them.(you know, using the faulty logic you guys use)

Lol, as far back as I can remember I was rooting for Maryland. It had nothing to do with them being good. Sure they made the tournament every year but it's not like I waited for them to make the Final 4 to start rooting for them and I bet a lot of people would agree with me.

I have said many times that i rooted for Duke because they were winning when i started watching.

Ok, so you jumped on the bandwagon just like I said before, so why did you dispute that and get into this debate with me?

I would think the fact that SG has stayed with them gives you a pass on the Bandwagon jumping bandwagon.

How so? Staying has nothing to do with jumping. He did jump on the bandwagon. As far as I'm concerned, there is no pass for that, someone who does that is at least a step down from the true fans of that team.

And he was never really tested as most bandwagoners are. Most bandwagoners jump on and then are faced with a decision when their team becomes bad a few years later. Duke has had only 1 bad year in the last 20 as far as I know. Not much of a test. If a guy jumped on the Yanks bandwagon in '98, I'm not going to give them a pass considering the Yanks have won their division every year since.

The situations aren't comparable but the bottom line is you root for MD and not UMBC and Towson(and no MWeb, it is not like rooting for the Baysox because we are talking the same level, ie D1)because they are a high profile team that can win championships and are on TV and have national exposure.

Even though most of you probably live closer to Towson, UMBC or Loyola.

It pretty much is like rooting for the Baysox, this is a BS example and you know it. They're like the Baysox in terms of being on tv and being covered by the media, and lets be real, they aren't on the same level besides the technical part of it. And again, MD wasn't on tv, did not have national exposure, and were quite bad when I became a fan. Picking Maryland is just like picking the O's.

I would argue that back in the 1 bid per conference era the MD-UNC rivalry was big. Several times they were in the best 5 teams in the country and one was going home usually MD. But Alabama/Auburn is the biggest rivalry I have seen. Heck Auburn fans won't do business with AL fans if they can help it.

So Sports Guy, as a Duke fan what is your feeling on the football team? Any other sports? Sure womans basketball they are good but the rest ot the teams stink, DIII caliber teams. I am leaving out Lacrosse here because of the problems they had, dont think it belongs on a message board. How many National Titles have they won as a school?

You can root for who you want, but do you donate to the program? Do you buy season tickets? Or do you just relate to the nerdy fans?

Its real easy to be a fan, watch on a B/W TV and say you know everything about them, and you have that right. Dont act like you know more than other fans, or MD fans cause you dont, you know alot but not everything. You tend to look at collage basketball thru Devils Horns, Duke isnt to the greatest program in collage basketball history, UCLA and Wooden are. Till they win 8 straight, which will never happen again, to many good teams and to many teams in the tournement, then they can say there the best. I believe Indiana, Kentucky and NC have won more then Duke. There have been 2 other ACC teams who have won the championship since they last did,remember that.

So Sports Guy, as a Duke fan what is your feeling on the football team? Any other sports? Sure womans basketball they are good but the rest ot the teams stink, DIII caliber teams. I am leaving out Lacrosse here because of the problems they had, dont think it belongs on a message board. How many National Titles have they won as a school?

You can root for who you want, but do you donate to the program? Do you buy season tickets? Or do you just relate to the nerdy fans?

Its real easy to be a fan, watch on a B/W TV and say you know everything about them, and you have that right. Dont act like you know more than other fans, or MD fans cause you dont, you know alot but not everything. You tend to look at collage basketball thru Devils Horns, Duke isnt to the greatest program in collage basketball history, UCLA and Wooden are. Till they win 8 straight, which will never happen again, to many good teams and to many teams in the tournement, then they can say there the best. I believe Indiana, Kentucky and NC have won more then Duke. There have been 2 other ACC teams who have won the championship since they last did,remember that.

First of all, please learn how to write...The way you talk, you are older so i would assume you have had classes in writing.

Secondly, no i am not into the other sports at the university because well, i don't really watch any of the other sports other than college football.

I don't even know what the rest of your post is supposed to mean other than just some rambles of what it looks to be a 8 year old kid.

That's the exact definition of a bandwagon fan. Let me pick the team that is winning and make that my favorate team. (This coming from a Duke fan)

This is true and i did pick them(back in like 1988) because they were winning.

However, they were not at the level they are now...I was 8 years old(didn't even know what a bandwagon fan was).

And i have stayed with them and become a big fan of them.

Just because i was a "bandwagon" fan back in 1988 doesn't mean i am now.

First off, I cannot write, I admit that.

Second, Terp fans have hated Duke since Dennard cut Buck.

Duke was nothing when McMillian and Elemore were at MD, it was NC St and NC, so we all grew up not even caring about Duke till Foster brought them to prominence, Dennard and all.

Archived