Trade Schoop?

vab

Ha you mean guys like Kinsler, Altuve, Kendrick, Dozier, Cano, Zobrist, Pedroia? who all had over a .300 OBP? Come on man Schoop batted .209 with a .244 OBP. That is terrible terrible terrible. Yes i know the defense obviously comes into play. But those IMO are unacceptable offensive numbers for a starting 2b

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=2b&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=400&type=8&season=2014&month=0&season1=2014&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

He was 9th best WAR among starting 2Bs in the AL last year. Obviously that top tier is great, but beyond that you have a bunch of 2B who aren't really anything special. Not everyone can have a star playing at 2B... especially not when they're a 22 year old rookie.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ha you mean guys like Kinsler, Altuve, Kendrick, Dozier, Cano, Zobrist, Pedroia? who all had over a .300 OBP? Come on man Schoop batted .209 with a .244 OBP. That is terrible terrible terrible. Yes i know the defense obviously comes into play. But those IMO are unacceptable offensive numbers for a starting 2b

No Ha. You mentioned four players that are not available at any price and one that had a second half worse than Schoop. One that will decline substantially from what you pay for him and one that I can not imagine that the Angels would deal.

So yes. Number nine is high enough. And Jon may improve.

I wouldn't trade for starting pitching now. Our starting pitching is damn good, regardless of how Tillman and Norris pitched in the ALCS. Gausman is ready to step up and deliver. Bundy is on his way.

If we were to trade Schoop, it would have to be for a sensational young LF with speed and high OBP. We'd probably have to include a starting pitcher in the deal. Not going to happen.

No I mean guys like Aaron Hill who put up a -1.2 rWAR over 500 AB and Alberto Callaspo who put up a -1 rWAR over 400 AB. Maybe you are a fan of the Roberts/Drew combo that NY tried to go to battle with?

RRef had Schoop as the 68th (of 85) least valuable second baseman out there last year.

At 22.

No Ha. You mentioned four players that are not available at any price and one that had a second half worse than Schoop. One that will decline substantially from what you pay for him and one that I can not imagine that the Angels would deal.

I didn't say any of these guys were available. I was pointing out that there is a LOT more talent around at 2B offensively than our guy hitting .209 .244. Are you satisfied with those offensive numbers? And no I'm not asking if you like his WAR. Just answer the question

I didn't say any of these guys were available. I was pointing out that there is a LOT more talent around at 2B offensively than our guy hitting .209 .244. Are you satisfied with those offensive numbers? And no I'm not asking if you like his WAR. Just answer the question

His AVG/OBP may be low, but he also hit the 4th most home runs of any 2B in baseball, along with playing good defense. And remember, he's only 22.[/i]

If he turns into a .240, 25 homer guy with really good defense every year, I'd take it in a heart beat.

I am satisfied with Schoop as our second - baseman. Yes. And a position where you can name seven good players is a very weak one. even when one of those seven grades out s the worst defensive middle infielder there is.

You do understand what difference age makes right?

Zobrist didn't even get to the majors until his age 25 season, he didn't perform above replacement level until his age 27 season.

No I mean guys like Aaron Hill who put up a -1.2 rWAR over 500 AB and Alberto Callaspo who put up a -1 rWAR over 400 AB. Myabe you are a fan of the Roberts/Drew combo that NY tried to go to battle with?

RRef had Schoop as the 68th (of 85) least valuable second baseman out there last year.

As 22.

Where does the Roberts/Drew combo come into play? That was out of left field. They were terrible. How many teams were played a full season last year with a 2b hitting .209 with an OBP of .244? I bet its not very many. Because no one would tolerate that for a whole season, and I don't know why the Orioles did either. Bring up Lombo who was hitting .300 or whatever it was to split time with him at least

I believe Schoop will perform better next season. And the season after, and the season after. I like his ... potential.

You do understand what difference age makes right?

Zobrist didn't even get to the majors until his age 25 season, he didn't perform above replacement level until his age 27 season.

I understand it as far as how the value financially he is to our team, yes. But age makes no difference to me if he sucks now and he MIGHT be a good player in the future. There are ways to keep him around without him being our everyday 2b.

Where does the Roberts/Drew combo come into play? That was out of left field. They were terrible. How many teams were played a full season last year with a 2b hitting .209 with an OBP of .244? I bet its not very many. Because no one would tolerate that for a whole season, and I don't know why the Orioles did either. Bring up Lombo who was hitting .300 or whatever it was to split time with him at least

I was showing you what other players were getting playing time at second base.

BTW Lombo was below replacement level last season (-.5 in very limited time).

I checked.

He may have hung on with the Orioles, even though IMO he shouldn't have been our everyday 2B. But he definitely wouldn't have hung on with alot of teams. The majority of the year he was a black hole. We could have done worse at 2b I'm sure, but I thought he should have been platooning with someone else like Lombo at the least to get some more productive AB's out of 2B.

Lombardozzi had a 618 OPS at AAA.

Archived