2014 WORLD SERIES (Giants vs. Royals)

OFFNY

That delivery of his is special. Watching a crafty lefty work is one of the great experiences in baseball. The O's had their own in Andrew Miller, at least for half a season. Bumgarner is like an Andrew Miller who can pitch limitless innings.

Yeah his delivery though smooth is violent. It almost seems like he is slinging the ball but is a strike throwing machine. Hard to fathom he is this great and still only 25 years old!,

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That poor guy. I honestly, in all of my life, have never seen anyone look so nervous. I hope he's the type that can let stuff like that roll off of him, otherwise he's in for a miserable few days.

I've felt like he has. Out of breath from the nervousness. Maybe Rob Lowe should have presented the Chevy.

By the eighth inning yesterday, it was like we were watching a perfect game. When they showed the Giants dugout, no one was talking to Bumgarner.

As for the Royals, now that it's over, I feel a bit (just a little bit) for them. They are a small-market team whose chance to go back to this stage is small, let's face it. This was a once in a blue moon (except that the moon was wearing orange and black) kind of thing. It reminds me very much of Tampa Bay a few years ago.

I got that same feeling last night too.

I've felt like he has. Out of breath from the nervousness. Maybe Rob Lowe should have presented the Chevy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d3WDcXNSUzE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2.4 million dollars in new media exposure.

o

One final point on the series ......

There has been some talk that the Royals' 3rd-base coach should have sent Gordon home on the single-turned-triple via the 2 errors/gaffes on the Giants' outfielders.

If Gordon had been sent, he would have been out pretty easily, unless the Giants' shortstop had made a really bad throw to the catcher.

Now ...... it were a prime Pete Rose running, he would have had an inside-the-park home run (a single, plus 3 extra bases via the 2 errors), regardless of what the 3rd-base coach had signaled.

Not because Rose was fast ...... he had average speed.

But because Rose would have been sprinting full-speed right out of the batter's box all the way around the base-paths. Gordon didn't really turn it on (full speed) until he was almost at 2nd base, because he didn't expect either gaffe (especially the second one by the leftfielder) by the two Giants outfielders. Rose never took ANYTHING for granted, hence he would likely have scored on said play.

I'm not knocking Gordon for doing what almost any other major league player would likely have done in the same situation ...... rather, I'm pointing out just how unique Rose's style of play was, no matter how seemingly routine a play was (on offense AND/OR on defense.) I remember when the Phillies clinched the 1980 World Series in Game Six. On an otherwise routine foul-ball out, catcher Bob Boone muffed an easy catch ...... but the Royals batter (Frank White) was still out ...... because Rose was standing right next to Boone in the unlikely event that he muffed it (which he did), and caught the ricochet of the ball before it hit the ground.

[video=youtube;t2uGm6XEbLQ]

Did Alex Gordon lollygag?

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/alex-gordon-world-series-game7-mike-jirschele-royals-third-base-coach-103114

It took Gordon an uncharacteristically slow 4.66 seconds to reach first base after making contact. According to the major-league scouting system, a 4.6 home-to-first time from a left-handed batter would place Gordon with the lowest possible score of 2.

o

One final point on the series ......

There has been some talk that the Royals' 3rd-base coach should have sent Gordon home on the single-turned-triple via the 2 errors/gaffes on the Giants' outfielders.

If Gordon had been sent, he would have been out pretty easily, unless the Giants' shortstop had made a really bad throw to the catcher.

Now ...... it were a prime Pete Rose running, he would have had an inside-the-park home run (a single, plus 3 extra bases via the 2 errors), regardless of what the 3rd-base coach had signaled.

Not because Rose was fast ...... he had average speed.

But because Rose would have been sprinting full-speed right out of the batter's box all the way around the base-paths. Gordon didn't really turn it on (full speed) until he was almost at 2nd base, because he didn't expect either gaffe (especially the second one by the leftfielder) by the two Giants outfielders. Rose never took ANYTHING for granted, hence he would likely have scored on said play.

I'm not knocking Gordon for doing what almost any other major league player would likely have done in the same situation ...... rather, I'm pointing out just how unique Rose's style of play was, no matter how seemingly routine a play was (on offense AND/OR on defense.) I remember when the Phillies clinched the 1980 World Series in Game Six. On an otherwise routine foul-ball out, catcher Bob Boone muffed an easy catch ...... but the Royals batter (Frank White) was still out ...... because Rose was standing right next to Boone in the unlikely event that he muffed it (which he did), and caught the ricochet of the ball before it hit the ground.

If it were Pete Rose running he would have barreled the catcher, dirtier than the OLD rules allowed. Definitely out in today's watered-down game.

If it were Pete Rose running, he would have barreled the catcher, dirtier than the OLD rules allowed. Definitely out in today's watered-down game.

He would not have had to.

I'm pretty sure that the catcher would not have been blocking the plate in the first place (especially Buster Posey, whose career was threatened/nearly ended by such type of collision.)

He should not of been lollygagging regardless of how sure he was that it was going to be a single. It's not a regular season game, it's the 7th game of the World Series, it's the btm of the 9th and your down by 1 run and your the final out. You have to give it your all just in case.

Archived