2014 WORLD SERIES (Giants vs. Royals)

OFFNY

Let's be honest - they have.

I understand and even feel a lot of the angst with how the Royals carried themselves. And I keep hearing that phrase "act like you've been there before". But they haven't. This was totally new for them. Maybe now that they realize how much it sucks to lose a playoff series, they'll carry themselves a little better.

Yes and give their opponent whether it be in the playoffs or WS the proper respect they deserve for how difficult it even is to get there!

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's be honest - they have.

I understand and even feel a lot of the angst with how the Royals carried themselves. And I keep hearing that phrase "act like you've been there before". But they haven't. This was totally new for them. Maybe now that they realize how much it sucks to lose a playoff series, they'll carry themselves a little better.

So they never won in the minors? In college? High School? Little league? You shouldn't have to learn to win with class when you are in the MLB playoffs.

By the eighth inning yesterday, it was like we were watching a perfect game. When they showed the Giants dugout, no one was talking to Bumgarner.

As for the Royals, now that it's over, I feel a bit (just a little bit) for them. They are a small-market team whose chance to go back to this stage is small, let's face it. This was a once in a blue moon (except that the moon was wearing orange and black) kind of thing. It reminds me very much of Tampa Bay a few years ago.

So they never won in the minors? In college? High School? Little league? You shouldn't have to learn to win with class when you are in the MLB playoffs.

I'm not going to equate winning in the minors in front of a few thousand fans (or even less in HS and college) to winning in the LCS or World Series. Just not even comparable.

I agree they should have known better, but they were young. They were amped. They were on a magic carpet ride. It crashed. Again, hopefully they learned a few lessons along the way and will know how to handle it a little better next time. Same with their fans.

Plus the cliche is "Act like you've been there before", not "You've been there before, act like it".

I'm not going to equate winning in the minors in front of a few thousand fans (or even less in HS and college) to winning in the LCS or World Series. Just not even comparable.

I agree they should have known better, but they were young. They were amped. They were on a magic carpet ride. It crashed. Again, hopefully they learned a few lessons along the way and will know how to handle it a little better next time. Same with their fans.

You know, they really are not that young.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/KCR/2014.shtml

They got a lot of guys in that 27-30 bracket. If you add up the BRef starting 9 for each the Royals come in at 250 years old, the O's 251.

If you add in the starting rotations then its O's 136 Royals 146.

So if you add those together, the lineup and the rotations, the Royals were actually nine years older, cumulatively, then the O's.

You know, they really are not that young.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/KCR/2014.shtml

They got a lot of guys in that 27-30 bracket. If you add up the BRef starting 9 for each the Royals come in at 250 years old, the O's 251.

If you add in the starting rotations then its O's 136 Royals 146.

So if you add those together, the lineup and the rotations, the Royals were actually nine years older, cumulatively, then the O's.

They're all young. I'm 33. I'm older than most of them. So they're all young.

I'm not totally absolving them. But again - they hadn't been there before. They don't know that pit-in-the-stomach feeling of losing a playoff series. And that hollowness of realizing that suddenly your season is done and the ride is over. Now they do. They probably know it better than us, actually, since they came much closer.

I'm seeing a lot of Royals fans hate on Madison Bumgarner. And all he did was his job, and did it well. And didn't rub in their faces as we has doing it. All that "fun" is a lot different when you're on the other end.

And let's remember that leadership plays a big part there. I thought Yost did a pretty good job in the postseason, but he's no Buck. Buck wouldn't have stood for a lot of that stuff.

They're all young. I'm 33. I'm older than most of them. So they're all young.

I'm not totally absolving them. But again - they hadn't been there before. They don't know that pit-in-the-stomach feeling of losing a playoff series. And that hollowness of realizing that suddenly your season is done and the ride is over. Now they do. They probably know it better than us, actually, since they came much closer.

I'm seeing a lot of Royals fans hate on Madison Bumgarner. And all he did was his job, and did it well. And didn't rub in their faces as we has doing it. All that "fun" is a lot different when you're on the other end.

And let's remember that leadership plays a big part there. I thought Yost did a pretty good job in the postseason, but he's no Buck. Buck wouldn't have stood for a lot of that stuff.

I'm 42. I'm older then all of them. 25 is old enough to know not to behave like a jackass in public.

I'm 42. I'm older then all of them. 25 is old enough to know not to behave like a jackass in public.

It's easy to get caught up in the moment. That is my point. "Emotions make great companions, but lousy leaders". They let their emotion get away from them a few times, and given the context, given how they won their games, and the frenzy around them, I think it's a least understandable.

Archived