Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm hoping the lack on interest in Nick gets him down to 3 years.

3/27 would be fantastic.

Why would you care whether we pay him 3/33 or 3/27. There is no salary cap in baseball. The team isn't going to say we spent 11 million on Markakis we can't afford that 2 million a year player.

If he couldn't step up this year why would he risk another walk year?

It would be a gamble, but if the Orioles aren't going to come close to his asking price (let's say 4/48) then there might be a team out there willing to pay him $12 million for one year and he establishes a 2016 baseline more consistent with what he brings to the table these days. I still think that the fact that he's made $15 million per the last two years with the Orioles (an overpay) is an obstacle to him coming back. He needs to take a pay cut, one that's likely to be embarrassing unless the O's overpay.

If Nick played for another team would you even vaguely consider it a good idea to sign him to a 4/40 deal?

Why would any of us hate Markakis?

Can you give any rational reason why we would have a personal animus toward the man?

Of course I would want Markakis if he played for another team. Did you see this year we had problems getting solid hitting and fielding out of left field. It isn't easy to get a guy who can play every day with solid defense and have a high OBP and have long pitch count at bats while being productive overall hitting. These guys don't grow on trees. I wish we would sign a reliable guy for every position.

Of course I would want Markakis if he played for another team. Did you see this year we had problems getting solid hitting and fielding out of left field. It isn't easy to get a guy who can play every day with solid defense and have a high OBP and have long pitch count at bats while being productive overall hitting. These guys don't grow on trees. I wish we would sign a reliable guy for every position.

That's funny because I thought that Pearce was just fine in LF once he was given the keys to play everyday until he had to slide to 1B once Davis was suspended. Course my memory could be failing me.

The fact that a guy who was essentially a journeyman prior to last year could pretty much outperform Nick should tell you why he is not worth 4/40.

Saying that Nick is not worth 4/40 is not the same as saying he has no value...many would be ok with say 3/24-27. Its simply acknowledging he is not worth that type of money or years.

Of course I would want Markakis if he played for another team. Did you see this year we had problems getting solid hitting and fielding out of left field.
That's funny because I thought that Pearce was just fine in LF once he was given the keys to play everyday until he had to slide to 1B once Davis was suspended. Course my memory could be failing me.

You are wrong about Pearce being handed the keys to LF at any point, but we did just fine in LF. Cruz played the most there (226 PA), followed by Lough (134), Pearce (105), de Aza (81) and Young (68). Collectively they put up an .828 OPS in LF. True that Cruz and Young were an adventure out there in LF, but Lough, Pearce and de Aza were solid to good.

The fact that a guy who was essentially a journeyman prior to last year could pretty much outperform Nick should tell you why he is not worth 4/40.

Saying that Nick is not worth 4/40 is not the same as saying he has no value...many would be ok with say 3/24-27. Its simply acknowledging he is not worth that type of money or years.

Pearce has not played a full season , players can shine at times and then go back to replacement level when given a full time job.

You are wrong about Pearce being handed the keys to LF at any point, but we did just fine in LF. Cruz played the most there (226 PA), followed by Lough (134), Pearce (105), de Aza (81) and Young (68). Collectively they put up an .828 OPS in LF. True that Cruz and Young were an adventure out there in LF, but Lough, Pearce and de Aza were solid to good.

Having five guys to play one position is not something you can do for than one position. You can't platoon every position.

Pearce has not played a full season , players can shine at times and then go back to replacement level when given a full time job.

By the same measure players can shine at one time and begin to regress.

Ironically I have supported resigning Nick. I think if you went with Pearce, AJ, De Aza and Lough with another player added to that mix then the team would be just fine. Committing to giving Nick 40 million is not smart based on what he has brought to the table the last few years IMO. If they can bring him back at a rate that is more reasonable based on his production than fine. If not the statistics he puts up are not that great that they cannot be replaced and done so at likely a significantly lower cost than 4/40

Having five guys to play one position is not something you can do for than one position. You can't platoon every position.

Right now they have De Aza (assuming they tender him), Lough, Pearce and AJ. Really at this point they only need to add one more solid player to that mix who can play LF/RF and have their OF set.

I would have no problem with DeAza and Pearce starting with Lough and/or another guy getting AB's out there also. If Nick came back on a 3/24 contract then you would have exceptional depth and if you lose Cruz then I assume you would use Pearce more frequently in the DH hole depending on how else they address that. If he does not then there are options out there they can explore.

Did you see this year we had problems getting solid hitting and fielding out of left field. It isn't easy to get a guy who can play every day with solid defense and have a high OBP and have long pitch count at bats while being productive overall hitting. These guys don't grow on trees. I wish we would sign a reliable guy for every position.

Baltimore producted .271/.336/.492/.828, 30 HRs in LF. The best slugging, HRs, and OPS in all of baseball. LF committed 2 errors (tied for 2nd in the league) and 14 assists (tied for 2nd in the league). Turns out we might have produced the best collective LF in all of baseball in 2014. It seems to be a testament to the power of platooning.. something a number of us suggest we could/should do with RF as well.

Baltimore producted .271/.336/.492/.828, 30 HRs in LF. The best slugging, HRs, and OPS in all of baseball. LF committed 2 errors (tied for 2nd in the league) and 14 assists (tied for 2nd in the league). Turns out we might have produced the best collective LF in all of baseball in 2014. It seems to be a testament to the power of platooning.. something a number of us suggest we could/should do with RF as well.

Cruz played 60 games in LF. That helped a tad with those offensive numbers.

I think you are OK platooning one OF position. You really start coming into roster issues if you platoon both corner OF positions.

Cruz played 60 games in LF. That helped a tad with those offensive numbers.

Absolutely.

I think you are OK platooning one OF position. You really start coming into roster issues if you platoon both corner OF positions.

I get what you're saying and mostly agree with it. Hypothetically, if we resign Cruz, we have Cruz, Pearce, de Aza, Lough... and maybe Young. That's 2(3) righties and 2 lefties. You could conceivably platoon both LF and RF with those players, while giving Cruz a good amount of DHing. I'm not saying it's ideal, but I think it's quite doable.

Not necessarily, if one of your platoon guys is the other side of a different platoon, I think it can work. For example, let's say De Aza and Jonny Gomes platoon in LF, while Lough and Pearce platoon in RF. Pearce could also be the DH against RH pitching and fill in at 1B when needed. In this arrangement, Pearce would not be a bench player, because he'd be playing every day. Your four bench players would be:

1. Gomes

2. DH vs LHP

3. Flaherty

4. Joseph

Archived