Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Absolutely.

I get what you're saying and mostly agree with it. Hypothetically, if we resign Cruz, we have Cruz, Pearce, de Aza, Lough... and maybe Young. That's 2(3) righties and 2 lefties. You could conceivably platoon both LF and RF with those players, while giving Cruz a good amount of DHing. I'm not saying it's ideal, but I think it's quite doable.

Versus Righties: Cruz DH, Lough in RF, De Aza in LF, Weiters behind the plate

Versus Lefties: Weiters DH, Cruz LF, Pearce in RF and Joseph catching.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not necessarily, if one of your platoon guys is the other side of a different platoon, I think it can work. For example, let's say De Aza and Jonny Gomes platoon in LF, while Lough and Pearce platoon in RF. Pearce could also be the DH against RH pitching and fill in at 1B when needed. In this arrangement, Pearce would not be a bench player, because he'd be playing every day. Your four bench players would be:

1. Gomes

2. DH vs LHP

3. Flaherty

4. Joseph

It has worked in the past, including the last Orioles World Series championship team in 1983. Gary Roenicke and John Loewenstein split left field and Dan Ford and Jim Dwyer split in right field.

It has worked in the past, including the last Orioles World Series championship team in 1983. Gary Roenicke and John Loewenstein split left field and Dan Ford and Jim Dwyer split in right field.

The Addition of a DH, in fact a DH platoon in some cases makes it harder to platoon a position than back then. Also, there appears to be another member of the bullpen since those days. Possibly because sarters don't pitch as long in games. And the five man rotation is firmly in place now. Taking up another roster spot. A guy who went 5 and 2 3rds back then was called a spot starter or swingman. Now, he might be your ace.

Heard on XM today the O's are at 4 years with an AAV of 10-11 M, and Nick wants more like 13-14 M.

BTW, also if this is true, we should expect to see a suspension soon for Nick for a failed drug test. He must be on something to think he's gonna get 13/14 per year for 4 years.

Heard on XM today the O's are at 4 years with an AAV of 10-11 M, and Nick wants more like 13-14 M.
If true, Nick is insane. I'm okay with 4/40 and perhaps as high as 4/44, but no way in hell am I going 4/52 or higher.

Who on XM reported this? If true, I agree that the Orioles have gone about as far as they should. In the end, I expect Nick's agent is just trying to push this as far as he can, and in the end he will sign for something in this ballpark.

Who on XM reported this? If true, I agree that the Orioles have gone about as far as they should. In the end, I expect Nick's agent is just trying to push this as far as he can, and in the end he will sign for something in this ballpark.
Bowdon. So indeed consider the source but he seemed pretty certain of the info.

If true, Nick is insane. I'm okay with 4/40 and perhaps as high as 4/44, but no way in hell am I going 4/52 or higher.
BTW, also if this is true, we should expect to see a suspension soon for Nick for a failed drug test. He must be on something to think he's gonna get 13/14 per year for 4 years.
All you can do is laugh at Nick.

I don't see how Nick/his agent are handling this is differently than the norm. MLBTR predicted a 4/$48 deal for Nick. The agent and GM from the Jon Heyman prediction article both predicted 4/$50. Billy Butler is getting $10 m a year over three years coming off of a much worse 2014 season than Nick and without any defensive value at all. It is certainly not insane to seek $13 or $14 m a year at this stage in the offseason. Nick and his agent would be doing themselves a disservice not to do that.

It is also pretty clear that Duquette is not going to budge or concede very much. Otherwise, the deal would be done. They really aren't that far apart. I am sure Nick's agent is hoping that around at or around the Winter Meetings, some team will make a 4 year offer for Nick at 4/$40, 4/$44 or something like that which they can use to force the O's hand to raise their offer. I don't see that happening though. Nick is doing what he has to do to maximize his value but in the end I think the O's get him on their terms.

I don't see how Nick/his agent are handling this is differently than the norm. MLBTR predicted a 4/$48 deal for Nick. The agent and GM from the Jon Heyman prediction article both predicted 4/$50. Billy Butler is getting $10 m a year over three years coming off of a much worse 2014 season than Nick and without any defensive value at all. It is certainly not insane to seek $13 or $14 m a year at this stage in the offseason. Nick and his agent would be doing themselves a disservice not to do that.

It is also pretty clear that Duquette is not going to budge or concede very much. Otherwise, the deal would be done. They really aren't that far apart. I am sure Nick's agent is hoping that around at or around the Winter Meetings, some team will make a 4 year offer for Nick at 4/$40, 4/$44 or something like that which they can use to force the O's hand to raise their offer. I don't see that happening though. Nick is doing what he has to do to maximize his value but in the end I think the O's get him on their terms.

:agree:

Nick's agent is just doing his job here.

I think it seems clear that the Orioles aren't going to pay $13-14 million for 4 years. If they felt that was the market for Nick, they would have given him a QO, IMO.

Nick is batting right handed now?

You can not compare the two given the current dearth of right handed power hitting.

Archived