Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

I really like Lough and think he was under used last year. That being said, that feeling is counter to Bucks feeling. Obviously, if Buck thought he could start or platoon, he would have started or been platooned. So, where are we? A bunch of fans willing to give Lough 400 abs when buck had him and didn't do that. Who knows more Buck or you and me?

This isn't valid. Of course you give the ABs to Cruz/Pearce/Young/Jones/Markakis when those are your options. However, Lough + $10-13MM for other parts of the roster may be a net positive over Markakis.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem the Orioles face is that there is no replacement. In house or via free agency. So, they should overpay. But, not by too much. 4/40, 3/36, something like that. I think he would sign at those numbers, we need to get it done considering that Cruz is going to be overpaid. We need one of those guys, can't afford to lose both.

There is never a true shortage of talent. You never have to have any one player. It's almost always a false choice between a bad contract and losing.

Who knows more Buck or you and me?

Buck has access to some information we don't. He's a smart guy, a good manager. But he's also a flawed human. And someone who sometimes makes decisions that are geared more towards cohesion and teambuilding than efficiency and production. If the world always just deferred to the smart baseball guys on the field we'd still be watching the game of 1910 or 1950. And teams would be doing a lot more things that we now know are counterproductive.

If you look at the last four seasons, his OPS+ has been 106, 126, 88, 107. You could just as well argue that 2012 (126 OPS+) was the outlier if you restrict the analysis to the previous four years - something not unreasonable to do for a player entering his 30's.

I disagree that Nick has been extremely consistent over the last six seasons. His OPS+ has been 108, 120, 106, 126, 88, 107, average 108. Extremely consistent? Eeehhh... Politely above average most of the time, sure.

Above average 5 out of 6 years? 8 of 9 for his career. I'm not sure how you could be more consistent then that.

I believe that Buck has a definite flaw in that he over values veteran experience.

Need to look no farther than how Kelly Johnson made both post season rosters

or how Brian Matusz made the ALCS roster over TJ McFarland.

or how Brian Roberts played over Ryan Flaherty

Who would you have had on the playoff roster other than Kelly Johnson?

I believe that Buck has a definite flaw in that he over values veteran experience.

Or how Schoop played the most 2B. Or how Gausman started and Jimenez moved to the bullpen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I don't buy the 1993 version that you guys keep going back to.

Who would you have had on the playoff roster other than Kelly Johnson?

For the ALCS I would have definitely had Quentin Berry over Kelly Johnson

I also would have taken Parades over Johnson

Really the only qualification Johnson had was that he was a veteran. He was bad enough to get cut by three teams in the same year.

For the ALCS I would have definitely had Quentin Berry over Kelly Johnson

Yeah, but that is a general roster construction argument that pinch runners are more valuable than backup infielders, not a "choosing vets over rookies" argument.

I also would have taken Parades over Johnson

Really the only qualification Johnson had was that he was a veteran. He was bad enough to get cut by three teams in the same year.

Paredes over Johnson is a veteran over rookie situation where the veteran was better over the course of the season.

And Kelly Johnson wasn't cut by three teams. He was traded twice.

Those were all defensible decisions, and none of them had any significant impact on the team's performance. Johnson may have had a poor year, but he still hit about as well in the majors as Paredes did in Norfolk.

Archived