Right-Handed Power in the Outfield

weams

No I don't think you need to drag anything like that into it. Baseball is a grind but you can still have good games mixed in with struggles. He basically underperformed all through June,July and August - 646/671/725, but seemed to get going in that last month. It's also difficult to know what goes into the performance for the playoffs, some players seem to be better in October consistently.

It's also worth noting that it's not like a 770 ops is bad - not great for a DH,but definitely above league average.

I don't think the June/July/August numbers mean that much. Cruz' year was not that different from his career average. The main difference was that he played 159 G. He has only played more than 128 G one other time in his career. I think you can get 30 HR, 80 RBI from him the next two years with a drop off in the third. I'd go 3/45 for that.

I don't think the June/July/August numbers mean that much. Cruz' year was not that different from his career average. The main difference was that he played 159 G. He has only played more than 128 G one other time in his career. I think you can get 30 HR, 80 RBI from him the next two years with a drop off in the third. I'd go 3/45 for that.

Yeah I basically agree, I'm wary of a 4 year offer, but 3 years in the <50M is doable.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I’ve been thinking that Cowser has turned into a major league version of Fabian - good defender, good power, good eye, lots of swing and miss.  
    • Miami has the fewest walks in MLB, and by a sizable nargin: 222 to the Chisox' 264 (in two more games). The Orioles are 26th in walks with 274. I'm guessing Elias thought this was an ideal situation for McDermott: one of MLB's weakest hitting, lowest scoring, least powerful teams that doesn't take walks. 
    • The only Orioles quasi-“snub” from this list is that Bradish didn’t make the honorable mention “Injury Ward” pitchers group, but that’s mostly almost all pitchers that were ranked last year and fell off.  Grayson and Holliday are already on it, Westburg, Adley and Gunnar will be, and Cowser, Mayo, Basallo and Kjerstad were honorable mentions. 
    • Are you looking at the ZiPS 3 year projections on his player page that go 2.8, 2.7, 2.6 for 2024-2026? Those are from pre-season and aren’t updated for his performance this year to date. He’s bumped up his projections quite a lot this year.  For instance ZiPS rest of season projects him for 1.4 WAR in 55 games. Over a full season, that’s about 4 WAR.  In a recent article Szymborksi includes Westburg as one of the biggest gainers in improving his projections this season (along with Gunnar, Cowser and Joey Ortiz). Westburg’s now projected for 19.7 WAR from 2025-2029, again about 4 WAR a season (and that will include some decline years, so his peak will be higher than that). https://blogs.fangraphs.com/zips-midseason-movers-and-shakers-hitters/#more-440701 Just looking at the table in that article, for 2025-2029 WAR Westburg is ahead of Jackson Merrill and Joey Ortiz but below Riley Greene and Elly De La Cruz. About the same service time for all of those players so I expect the trade value rankings will be very similar. 
    • I don’t see how Westburg could have failed to get at least an honorable mention based on the other young guys on that list.  Since he’s not on the HM list, I have to think he’s going to be on the top 30, probably at the bottom of the 21-30 range somewhere.  If not, it’s a travesty.  
    • Luna, Estaban Mejia are both 17.  Morfe (crossed fingers) hasn’t pitched since the 6th is 18.   A few other interesting arms.  I’d say this is the best group, on paper, of pitching prospects we’ve had down there. Add in a bunch of 16-18 yo hitters and this is the deepest group we’ve had and the records reflect that.
    • 4 errors in 13 games at 1B says Mayo is not ready to play 1B in the majors.  
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now