Nelson Cruz Officially Declines Orioles Qualifying Offer (and 3 yr deal?)

Slade-OH

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The plan which keeps both sounds like a losing team in years 3 and 4.

I try and take a long view of things.

While the long view has some value, I think the better the team is, the more important short term is. The O's have a real shot at winning the WS with Jones/Hardy/Machado/Wieters/Tillman as the core, and adding back Markakis and Cruz. 4 years from now we may have our title....and/or many of those players maybe gone. Right now I don't sacrifice the sort term for the long term within reason.

What percentage of 2014 Cruz do you think Cruz will be worth this next year. And the year after? and the year after? And yet one more year after? Because I bet you are paying full value for 2014 Cruz in each one of those seasons. At least a pick can give you excess value.

Almost certainly a higher percentage than that sandwich pick will ever turn out to be. If the O's were a .500 team I'd be on board with you. We have a chance now, and if you can sign Cruz to a somewhat responsible contract you do it.

Why are we not in a position to win a title in five years?

We might be.....but we know much more about 2015 than we do about 2019. If I had to bet on which season we will win the division I would pick 2015. Why? Because we own in 2014 and will have most of the core back. Way to many question marks about 2019. I hope we are as good or better, but we are just too far out.

Almost certainly a higher percentage than that sandwich pick will ever turn out to be. If the O's were a .500 team I'd be on board with you. We have a chance now, and if you can sign Cruz to a somewhat responsible contract you do it.

It isn't just the pick. You also don't have a roster slot and a bunch of cash tied up in a DH who is well into his 30's.

We might be.....but we know much more about 2015 than we do about 2019. If I had to bet on which season we will win the division I would pick 2015. Why? Because we own in 2014 and will have most of the core back. Way to many question marks about 2019. I hope we are as good or better, but we are just too far out.

Part of the reason the O's "owned" in 2014 was that the every other team in the division got slammed by injuries. Even compared to the O's.

I wouldn't put the O's talent level at 12 games over the next team.

It isn't just the pick. You also don't have a roster slot and a bunch of cash tied up in a DH who is well into his 30's.

Again, if you can keep it to 3 years and somewhat reasonable, you do it because you are in position to win now. While I would like to be in position to win every year, I think even the richest teams will now have ups and downs. When you are this close (division winners and a final 4 team) you take advantage of that.

Part of the reason the O's "owned" in 2014 was that the every other team in the division got slammed by injuries. Even compared to the O's.

I wouldn't put the O's talent level at 12 games over the next team.

Sorry typo "won". Yes, I don't expect to run away with the division in 2015...but I think we have as good a chance as any other team in the division.

Again, if you can keep it to 3 years and somewhat reasonable, you do it because you are in position to win now. While I would like to be in position to win every year, I think even the richest teams will now have ups and downs. When you are this close (division winners and a final 4 team) you take advantage of that.

When is the last time the Cardinals had a down year?

Me too. No Phillies.

It doesn't sound like DD is going to go crazy like the Phillies.

3-4 year deals for Cruz/Markakis <<<< contracts for Halliday, Howard, Lee, Hamels, Papelbon

All I'm saying is chill with the over-the-top statements. Neither of these deals will be killers. They'll still be able to draft and develop.

It doesn't sound like DD is going to go crazy like the Phillies.

3-4 year deals for Cruz/Markakis <<<< contracts for Halliday, Howard, Lee, Hamels, Papelbon

All I'm saying is chill with the over-the-top statements. Neither of these deals will be killers. They'll still be able to draft and develop.

No. I am certain that Dan does not think like Amaro. I think we pass on some of these deals for smart reasons. Not because of cheapness.

I think that's a slight exaggeration. Machado and Wieters were two of the best players in the division to miss half a season or more last year, maybe THE two best.

Archived