Nelson Cruz Officially Declines Orioles Qualifying Offer (and 3 yr deal?)

Slade-OH

It isn't just the pick. You also don't have a roster slot and a bunch of cash tied up in a DH who is well into his 30's.

Sure has killed the Red Sox. They've won 2 WS with an expensive DH well into his 30s clogging up a roster spot. If the Orioles were just going to settle for an offense that includes De Aza and Lough getting a lot kof AB I don't know why they extended Hardy. Should have QO him and let him walk. Especially since 1B, C, and Steve Pearce will all be FA next year. And most of the BP. Why not just be happy with a great 3 year run and just blow it up.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you have not noticed Ortiz has not exactly had a normal aging curve.

When is the last time they signed him to a 3+ year deal?

They basically just did. Vesting options in 2016 and 2017 with 400, AB. Unless he falls off a cliff those are easy.

Would you be ok with say a 2 year guarantee for Cruz with 2 options similar to Ortiz.

Say 2/30 with vesting options of 13m for 2017 and 18?

They basically just did. Vesting options in 2016 and 2017 with 400, AB. Unless he falls off a cliff those are easy.

Would you be ok with say a 2 year guarantee for Cruz with 2 options similar to Ortiz.

Say 2/30 with vesting options of 13m for 2017 and 18?

I wouldn't be up in arms about it.

He won't sign for that.

Ortiz is clearly an exception, but also clearly a superior offensive player to Cruz.

You have to wonder if he will fall off a cliff soon, though. That seemed to be happening in 2007-09 when he went 1.066, .877, .794 at ages 31-33, but then he suddenly reversed course. The last three years he has gone 1.026, .959, .873. He's 39. If he didn't reach .800 this year, it certainly wouldn't shock me.

You have to wonder if he will fall off a cliff soon, though. That seemed to be happening in 2007-09 when he went 1.066, .877, .794 at ages 31-33, but then he suddenly reversed course. The last three years he has gone 1.026, .959, .873. He's 39. If he didn't reach .800 this year, it certainly wouldn't shock me.

Oh, absolutely. I was only making a case that Ortiz was a better extension candidate in his mid thirties than Cruz because he was starting at a much higher level.

I don't often agree with Steve Adams but I agree with this from the MLBTR CHAT:

Comment From Jack Z

Who will I get: Cruz, Upton or Kemp? Any of them?

Steve Adams: Order of likelihood for those three is as you have it... Cruz, Upton, Kemp. I can see Cruz landing there if they give the fourth year that Baltimore doesn't want to.

Funny that. Ortiz is the new Barry Bonds. He will continue to be ageless until he gets busted. Horrible comparison to anybody.

Archived