Nelson Cruz Officially Declines Orioles Qualifying Offer (and 3 yr deal?)

Slade-OH

Other than Seattle and the Orioles I don't see another team for him, unless there is a surprise team. How much money will it take for him to play in Seattle? You can bet he would rather be in Baltimore.

If the O's are at 3 years and Seattle offer 4 years that is probably 14-16m more than the O's offer. That's enough to get him to Seattle.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Other than Seattle and the Orioles I don't see another team for him, unless there is a surprise team. How much money will it take for him to play in Seattle? You can bet he would rather be in Baltimore.

Seattle offered him 5/75 last year and he took a 1 year deal. Now he's asking for the same deal he turned down last year. I had read Cruz didn't want to play on the west coast, but can't find it now to back it up. So, we'll see. Heck, the Royals may jump in.

Seattle offered him 5/75 last year and he took a 1 year deal. Now he's asking for the same deal he turned down last year. I had read Cruz didn't want to play on the west coast, but can't find it now to back it up. So, we'll see. Heck, the Royals may jump in.

I thought that was the contract his camp wanted? If he was offered that I think he would have taken it.

From what I have read Seattle talked about making an offer last year but management/ownership never allowed them to make the offer.

What? Link, please.

This is incorrect. Seattle had a preliminary agreement with Cruz for 1/7.5 with an option before the Orioles made their offer. Ownership shut it down.

Noticed link isn't working. Here's the quote.

Ryan Divish of the*Seattle Times*has been checking in all day with updates from the Winter Meetings in Orlando. Earlier this evening, he unleashed*this interesting little nugget:

There are rumors that free agent outfielderNelson Cruz*turned down the Mariners’ offer of 5-years, $75 million. That’s a lot of money for a guy that’s 33 and coming off a PED suspension and doesn’t hit well outside of Arlington. It may actually be a good thing for the Mariners. Cruz is being rumored to be interested in going to Baltimore.

If true, it’s really hard to say who was more off base in this scenario, the Mariners for offering five years and $75 million in the first place or Cruz for turning it down. If anything, Cruz might have saved the Mariners from themselves.

Yeah and I'm going by a story. Im not a journalist with inside information. It was reported he did. I can't tell you to believe it or not. I didn't write the story. You asked for a link and I gave you one.

No, I asked for a link showing that Cruz was offered 5/75 by the Mariners. What you provided doesn't do that. It was an article citing an obviously unsubstantiated rumor.

Archived