Nelson Cruz Officially Declines Orioles Qualifying Offer (and 3 yr deal?)

Slade-OH

Sure, I'm pessimistic.

It would also be a first round pick not a second round pick. It would also mean more pool money, which if used wisely could be more useful then the pick.

Are you satisfied with the the players in Tony's top 10? I'm not. Best way to build the farm these days is the draft.

It's one of our weaker classes in recent years... but we have Gausman up, Manny up, Schoop up, even Britton up. Shell game.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure, I'm pessimistic.

It would also be a first round pick not a second round pick. It would also mean more pool money, which if used wisely could be more useful then the pick.

Are you satisfied with the the players in Tony's top 10? I'm not. Best way to build the farm these days is the draft.

There is also international signings. They team seems to be a doing a good job improving the prospects we have in the minors. I would like to win next year. Your plan of letting go of Markakis and Cruz sounds like a losing team.

There is also international signings. They team seems to be a doing a good job improving the prospects we have in the minors. I would like to win next year. Your plan of letting go of Markakis and Cruz sounds like a losing team.

The plan which keeps both sounds like a losing team in years 3 and 4.

I try and take a long view of things.

That (lost) draft pick might really help us.

So last off season Jack Z signed Cano for 10/240 and it cost him a pick.

The Mariners went from 71 wins in 2013 to 87 wins in 2014.

The Mariners attendance went from 1.76m to 2.06m

Jack Z's #1 priority this off season is a righthanded power hitter.

Do you really think a draft pick is going to stop him from offering Cruz 4 years?

There may be other reasons why Jack Z does not go after Cruz but i personally don't think the draft choice will stop him.

Why? I wouldn't sign Markakis, but both contracts will be expiring at that time. You're putting too much weight on a sandwich pick.

No, I am putting weight into paying the combination of Jimenez, Markakis, and Cruz 40ish million in 2017 and getting 2 WAR out of the three of them combined.

No, I am putting weight into paying the combination of Jimenez, Markakis, and Cruz 40ish million in 2017 and getting 2 WAR out of the three of them combined.

The problem with this rationale is that the chances for the O's success in 2017 is (and always was) about the development of the young SP. Gausman, Bundy, and Harvey should cost that team <$5MM in 2017, which allows you to roll the dice on 3-4 year deals right now.

The problem with this rationale is that the chances for the O's success in 2017 is (and always was) about the development of the young SP. Gausman, Bundy, and Harvey should cost that team <$5MM in 2017, which allows you to roll the dice on 3-4 year deals right now.

Not really. If you don't have 40 million in bad contracts on the team you don't have to depend on all three hitting.

Sure, I'm pessimistic.

Well, that pick, if we are lucky, might be worth some percentage of Cruz 5 years from now. I'd rather have much higher value for the next 3 years while we are in position to win a title.

Well, that pick, if we are lucky, might be worth some percentage of Cruz 5 years from now. I'd rather have much higher value for the next 3 years while we are in position to win a title.

What percentage of 2014 Cruz do you think Cruz will be worth this next year. And the year after? and the year after? And yet one more year after? Because I bet you are paying full value for 2014 Cruz in each one of those seasons. At least a pick can give you excess value.

Why are we not in a position to win a title in five years?

Archived