O's Interested In Tomas ? (Signs with Arizona)

Can_of_corn

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the realistic ceiling on Nick in a season these days? Three wins? Three and a half? Four?

I think three and half if the spring is warm and the BABIP gods smile upon him.

You are making the point that nick is less risky. He's got a ceiling of (let's call it) 3.5 WAR and a reasonable floor of (let's call it 1.5. Tomas has a ceiling of 6? Maybe? Yet he also has an undetermined floor, especially since he doesn't have elite defense to fall back on for value. Could be a -1.5 WAR if he has trouble with mlb pitching and a low OBP. Yes he has a higher ceiling, but he also has a lower floor (reasonable expectations here). He is a stock, nicks a bond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are making the point that nick is less risky. He's got a ceiling of (let's call it) 3.5 WAR and a reasonable floor of (let's call it 1.5. Tomas has a ceiling of 6? Maybe? Yet he also has an undetermined floor, especially since he doesn't have elite defense to fall back on for value. Could be a -1.5 WAR if he has trouble with mlb pitching and a low OBP. Yes he has a higher ceiling, but he also has a lower floor (reasonable expectations here). He is a stock, nicks a bond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how you can say Nick's reasonable floor is 1.5 when that is actually closer to his expected production. Considering that Nick put up a replacement level season in 2013 I think we can safely say his reasonable floor is 0.

I was being rather generous with my ceilings since he hasn't hit 3 WAR since 2008.

It is refreshing not having anyone around expecting the O's to sign him. Or ranting and raving about ownership being why they won't sign him. Or how he is the MOO that will take the O's to the promised land.

I'd rather have Moncada anyway. ;)

I'm certainly not thinking it could happen. It would be an interesting way to kickstart the offseason, though! :)

Mystery team must be the O's !!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Yasmany Tomas appears close to signing with an unidentified team, per <a href="https://twitter.com/jorgearangure">@jorgearangure</a></p>— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) <a href="

">November 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived