O's Interested In Tomas ? (Signs with Arizona)

Can_of_corn

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if Peter is not involved, do you see Buck and DD getting a large enough budget to compete for this guy over NY, Boston, LA and the Cubs? And if they do, it would probably mean Nick and Cruz are gone. Huge risk. This move, if made, will make or break DD's regime

Of course Nick and Cruz are risks too. Any big contract is a risk. I am not advocating Tomas necessarily, but I don't think it is inherently riskier to sign a 23 year old Cuban player who has never played in MLB versus a 30 year old who is already in decline or a 34 year old coming off a career year.

Of course Nick and Cruz are risks too. Any big contract is a risk. I am not advocating Tomas necessarily, but I don't think it is inherently riskier to sign a 23 year old Cuban player who has never played in MLB versus a 30 year old who is already in decline or a 34 year old coming off a career year.

Sure there is. Our two guys are proven major leaguers. Tomas is far riskier

Sure there is. Our two guys are proven major leaguers. Tomas is far riskier

But Tomas is proven against the Cuban equivalent of MLB. The track record of Cuban players in recent years is excellent. I don't know if there is a comprehensive list anywhere but I am hard pressed to think of one that has turned out to be a major mistake.

Leonys Martin 5 yr/$15m

Cespedes 4 yr/$36m

Viciedo 4 yrs/$10m

Puig 7 yrs/$42m

Chapman 4 yr/$36m

Abreu 6 yr/$68m

Soler 9 yr/$30m

Compare that to the average success rate of big free agent contracts to Age 30+ MLB OF. Really you think the Cuban group has more inherent risk?

OBP is over rated. What is missing in today's game is real power.

OPS me - I want them both. If I had to choose one over the other (which I wouldn't want to), I'd choose OBP.

Oh, and when I was bad-mouthing the idea of paying him 100 million, I left out that he's apparently slow. I don't care if he doesn't steal bases, but I don't care to add a slow, low OBP guy who might start out in the minor leagues all for $100 million. Now, if I could get him for what Cespedes or Puig signed for, I'd be all over him. But word is - the price will likely be around 100 mil.

OPS me - I want them both. If I had to choose one over the other (which I wouldn't want to), I'd choose OBP.

Oh, and when I was bad-mouthing the idea of paying him 100 million, I left out that he's apparently slow. I don't care if he doesn't steal bases, but I don't care to add a slow, low OBP guy who might start out in the minor leagues all for $100 million. Now, if I could get him for what Cespedes or Puig signed for, I'd be all over him. But word is - the price will likely be around 100 mil.

Ok. I like the age myself. I think he would play major league ball very quickly.

Archived