O's Interested In Tomas ? (Signs with Arizona)

Can_of_corn

It would be a big kahoonas type move that would pay off in spades or look utterly stupid. In some ways it would be a DD move. In others not so much. DD is a gambler just not so sure he is that much of one.

If what is reported is true and Tomas only wants a 4-5 year deal then perhaps DD says to himself, I can spend say 15-17 per for Cruz and 10-11 per for Markakis totaling say 27-28 million but have two guys who may not perform well in their final year OR I can put up say 4-5/60-75 (15 per) for a guy who could be just hitting his prime in year 4 or 5 and then decide what to do with the rest of that Markakis/Cruz money.

Its a huge huge gamble but if DD really felt the guy was a stud, its not unthinkable he could go down that road. The bigger trick would be convincing ownership to sign off on it, perhaps he has built up the cache to pull that trick off to?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate that they call it a luxury tax. It isn't the same one and I find them reusing the term confusing.

This would be an international pool violation.

If there is a mystery team that signed him that was not a front runner then my best guess would be.....

The St Louis Cardinals, they got the money, a huge gaping hole with their tragic loss recently and would be an attractive showcase place for a guy like him. Competitive team, good organization etc....

Just a guess

If there is a mystery team that signed him that was not a front runner then my best guess would be.....

The St Louis Cardinals, they got the money, a huge gaping hole with their tragic loss recently and would be an attractive showcase place for a guy like him. Competitive team, good organization etc....

Just a guess

That would make sense. Looks like his agent is meeting with 4 different GM's in the Dominican Republic.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dark horses for Yasmany Tomas? Hearing there are three "very unlikely" teams among those still in the mix for him.</p>— timdierkes (@timdierkes) <a href="

">November 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It would be nice to see the Os dip their toes in the deep end with these Cuban prospects though I understand the amount spent would be subject to a tax and might preclude the Os from signing big $ international players for a year or two. Other teams, including the NYY, decided to do this last year though they spread the $ over many prospects.

If the Twins point up $3M for Sano, the As $4M for Inoa, the Reds $20+M for Chapman, the ChiSox big $ for Viciedo, there is no reason the Os have not been able to make similar investments. Sure, a good number of these high $ guys fail, but the Os seem to cry poor when these guys are available (not that the payoff is poor).

That would make sense. Looks like his agent is meeting with 4 different GM's in the Dominican Republic.

Well if DD decides a little DR vacation is in order....that could be interesting lol. I doubt he is one of the four but still it would be an interesting development.

I will take a crack at the 3 unlikely teams....Marlins (to entice Stanton to stay), Twins and Cardinals ....perhaps the Giants

Well if DD decides a little DR vacation is in order....that could be interesting lol. I doubt he is one of the four but still it would be an interesting development.

I will take a crack at the 3 unlikely teams....Marlins (to entice Stanton to stay), Twins and Cardinals ....perhaps the Giants

That rumored check for 300 million is all the enticement Stanton will need.

Archived