What does VMart signing with the Tigers mean to the O's?

wildcard

I think the main thing the V-Mart signing does is takes away one potential suitor for Cruz. Let's narrow down who's left: Probably no NL team. No small market team. Not NY' date=' Ana or Bos, as they have DH's already. Us, Seattle or Texas is really all I see. Perhaps someone knows some others.[/quote']

You never know.. don't forget theres always that "mystery team" that Heyman always throws out there. :eektf:

I wouldn't rule out an NL team. The Mets in a big ballpark signed Cuddyer who, presumably, is no better defensively than Cruz.

Yes. You know. Ruben has made those types of deals in the past. I do not know if he in unfettered any longer though.

What it means to me is it will take a 4 year deal with an AAV of 15-16 Million to retain Cruz. Some on here would do that, I would not. Just too much risk for me at Nelsons age, and I really like the guy. I would much prefer to give Tomas an AAV of 15 million, although it would take 7 years. That would take him through his age 31 season, which I like a lot better.

The Orioles have a budget, they just cannot spend at will. We are not the Yankee's, we can't carry a bunch of well past their prime players at huge $$$$. It will be interesting to see what Dan does here, but one play that I think would be smart and also take some Kahuna's would be to take dollars he has and go with younger players like Tomas and Butler instead of Cruz and Markakis. And that would likely have a lower annual cost than Cruz and Markakis.

I was hoping it was the Mets before Cuddyer because it would have been nice to get the 15th pick. I just don't see them adding 2 players who have limited playing field time. I don't want the Rangers as their pick is protected if we lost Cruz, plus would he go back after last year? I guess for the money, but he left money to leave them last year. I still think it is Seattle or the Orioles. I do not see the Orioles going beyond 3 plus an option year.

Aren't the top 16 picks, or something like that, protected? If one of those teams sign your player, I think you get a sandwich pick. Not sure.

Top 10 or eleven. Yeah Eleven because. Astros. You still get the pick in the order that you pick in the round between one and two for any FA you lose that had a QO. this year that round starts at eight. And may be less if players sign at home or don't sign at all.

Aren't the top 16 picks, or something like that, protected? If one of those teams sign your player, I think you get a sandwich pick. Not sure.

Doesn't matter who signs Cruz (other than the O's) the O's get a sandwich pick. The first 10 losing teams only lose their 2nd pick. Here is what Cots contracts says:

Free Agent Compensation

A club is entitled to compensation when a free agent signs elsewhere if 1) he had played with the former club since Opening Day of the previous season, 2) the club made the player a Qualifying Offer in the amount of the average salary of the 125 highest-paid player in the game, and 3) the player declined the Qualifying Offer and signs a Major League contract with another club before the next Rule 4 First Year Player Draft.

The free agent’s former club receives a supplemental draft pick between the first and second rounds. If more than one club is entitled to a supplemental pick, selections are awarded in reverse order of won-loss percentage in the recently completed season.

The free agent’s new club forfeits its highest-available selection in the next Rule 4 First Year Player Draft. (The pick is simply eliminated rather than being awarded to the former club, as it was under the previous CBA.) A club signing more than one free agent subject to compensation forfeits its highest remaining selection for each signing. The first 10 selections in the Rule 4 First Year Player Draft are protected and cannot be forfeited. If a club holding one of the first 10 draft picks signs a free agent subject to compensation, that club forfeits its next-highest selection in the draft. With the exception of draft picks awarded for failure to sign a player in the previous Rule 4 First Year Player Draft, all of a club’s draft picks – including draft picks acquired by trade, compensatory draft picks awarded for losing a free agent, and Competitive Balance or Forfeited Draft Pick selections – are subject to forfeiture for signing a qualified free agent.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/transactions-glossary/

Agreed. Yankee stadium would not rank towards the top of home parks that are cozy for RH hitters. Boston, Camden Yards, Toronto, Texas, Houston, Chicago are all much better right off the top of my head.

Yankee Stadium was second only to Rogers Centre in HR's with 185. Left Center is fairly deep. But, don't confuse this Park with the Original, or even modified old Yankee Stadium. Cruz also hits several HR's to right field, which in Yankee Stadium it's actually the most hitter friendly

Archived