Nick Markakis agrees to four-year deal with Atlanta Braves

Greg

So, now that Birdland has been wrong once again, I assume he will make a promise to never overreact and predict doom prior to events unfolding. Or he will just continue making overwrought proclamations like this never happened.

Good luck Nick.

He tried once in the game thread.

Lasted about four innings if I recall correctly.

Like I just said in the other thread they just replaced Heyward with his older, slower, clone.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Guess the reports of the orioles demise in the negotiations weren't premature.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">December 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dan taking a shot at Brit.

Well Nick did sign in 72 hours so half wrong.
All wrong.

It has not been unnoticed that you're dancing on the ceiling with this news. I guess you're now off the ledge.

Man, you're insufferable. Don't care if you think this was the right move or not, Nick was with us for almost a decade and did nothing to deserve anyone's spite.
Exactamundo

We're going to miss Nick's hitting and fielding to a point. Lough will probably be our RF which is good for fielding but bad hitting.

Not exactly true.

Lough is good baseball player. Exceptional defense, he could also be a .OBP threat at all. Here are the Orioles' 2014 leaders in walk rate percentage for players with at least 100 plate appearances:

11.4 - Chris Davis

10.4 - Steve Pearce

8.7 - Nick Markakis

8.1 - Nelson Cruz

7.6 - David Lough

He could be easily .265 BA with .330 OBP and Gold Glove all over the outifield. Do not touch Lough.

I am pleased to see that the front office is selecting the players and not the people who pay the front office.

I agree. I like Nick, he's been one of my favorites since he joined the club but sometimes it is just time to move on. Goodluck Nicky!

I hate that this happened, and hate that so many voices on this board wanted him gone. I know the arguments, but it still bothers me. Honestly I'm starting to feel that this offseason is slipping away from them. They can find reasons not to give any contract, but the reality is that franchises have more money to spend and so the market is shifting away from them. And I continue to think that some combination of De Aza, Lough, and Pearce is not a good plan for a contending team.

Archived