Nick Markakis agrees to four-year deal with Atlanta Braves

Greg

A lot of us thought that way last offseason.

Right, I know, and I wasn't one of them. This year feels different. We had a division winning ball club and the pieces are moving off the board quickly. The Orioles time is right now, they need to be more aggressive. An $8 million dollar Nelson Cruz isn't going to fall into your lap every offseason.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is taking every ounce of my willpower not to hand out some negative rep to posters who are gleefully dancing on Nick's grave.

I am sorry for your loss here, I do know how you enjoyed him. The team is not better today without Nick Markakis.

My great fear is that DD will attempt to do a slew of "under the radar" moves that are nothing more than a glorified version of crossing-my-fingers-and-hoping-for-the-best thing that the Orioles have done in the past.

I DO trust DD but I don't like the idea of letting BOTH Cruz and Markakis go. We really need bats and pitching right now. De Aza and Lough just can't do it.

MSK

Losing Cruz is more hurtful.. we need run producers. I hope Dan isn't counting on getting the 2013 CD back or even the 2012 version.

Aoki or Rasmus will put up the same numbers as Nick in 2015.

Do you not get that rooting for a baseball team is more than just rooting for whoever happens to be wearing the uniform at any given moment? Players are more than commodities.

If he's assuming Davis reverts to 2013 form, we're all in trouble. You can't count on him. We need impact bats.

Davis isn't "done" but he is consistently unreliable and streaky. We've lost two of our impact players and DD might not sign the best guys available for the sake of cheaper strategic signings that may or may not work out. Cruz's 2014 performance might have been lightning in a bottle but Cruz will still be a dangerous hitter in 2015 as will Markakis.

DD needs to really show how brilliant we all believe he is.

MSK

I think it's classless to be dancing about this. Markakis was a good Oriole who deserves our appreciation as such even if we didn't favor giving him a big contract.

I think the number that are dancing is pretty small.

I certainly didn't want the O's to match this offer but I never specifically desired Nick to be gone.

Archived