Nick Markakis agrees to four-year deal with Atlanta Braves

Greg

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

ALMOST 4 YEARS LATER ........

The combination of the Braves' 5-game winning streak and the Phillies' 4-game losing streak has all but salted away the NL East division for the Markakis' Braves.

Nick will very likely be celebrating his first division championship since 2014, and his 2nd overall ........ I'm happy for him.

o

2 minutes ago, murph said:

And hits at 180.   Does he get 20 more for his first ever 200 hit season?  Probably not, but would be awesome if so. 

11 games to go, it's certainly a mathematical possibility.  The Braves magic number to eliminate the Phillies is 7 and they're 5.5 games up.  I'd imagine Nick gets some rest once the Braves clinch a spot/division, so if it he hasn't done it by then it probably won't happen.  

Watched highlights of their loss yesterday. He’s definitely lost a step, but I’m constantly impressed with his play with balls hit off the wall. He almost always plays it in perfect position to make a strong throw to the cutoff. Yesterday it was a strong throw on the fly to 2B. 

14 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Watched highlights of their loss yesterday. He’s definitely lost a step, but I’m constant impressed with his play with balls hit off the wall. He almost always plays it in perfect position to make a strong throw to the cutoff. Yesterday it was a strong throw on the fly to 2B. 

I have to admit, I was dead wrong, as much as I loved Cakes, I thought 4 years was a mistake and that he would be done after 2.

20 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I have to admit, I was dead wrong, as much as I loved Cakes, I thought 4 years was a mistake and that he would be done after 2.

I’m very happy for him.    I’m looking forward to watching Nick in the playoffs.

For those who haven’t been following the thread in the MLB forum, Nick is now tied with Willie Stargell for 175th on the all time major league hit list, with 2,232.    He may pass Mike Schmidt (2,234) and John Olerud (2,239) before the end of the season.   Passing Edgar Martinez (2,247) this year is doubtful.   

On 9/12/2018 at 7:14 PM, OFFNY said:

o

The combination of the Braves' 5-game winning streak and the Phillies' 4-game losing streak has all but salted away the NL East division for the Markakis' Braves.

Nick will very likely be celebrating his first division championship since 2014, and his 2nd overall ........ I'm happy for him.

o

o

Wretched to Regal: The Braves are again Division Champs

(By Mark Bradley)

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradley/wretched-regal-the-braves-are-again-division-champs/O08KBaWB9gLE7TrznTEpKJ/

o

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2018 at 7:14 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

On 9/22/2018 at 6:23 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Wretched to Regal: The Braves are again Division Champs

(By Mark Bradley)

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradley/wretched-regal-the-braves-are-again-division-champs/O08KBaWB9gLE7TrznTEpKJ/

o

o

Unfortunately for Markakis and the Braves, their dream season came to an end today in the NLDS against the defending National League champion Dodgers.

o

Archived