Nick Markakis agrees to four-year deal with Atlanta Braves

Greg

I hate that this happened, and hate that so many voices on this board wanted him gone. I know the arguments, but it still bothers me. Honestly I'm starting to feel that this offseason is slipping away from them. They can find reasons not to give any contract, but the reality is that franchises have more money to spend and so the market is shifting away from them. And I continue to think that some combination of De Aza, Lough, and Pearce is not a good plan for a contending team.

Replacing Nick won't be hard.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate that this happened, and hate that so many voices on this board wanted him gone. I know the arguments, but it still bothers me. Honestly I'm starting to feel that this offseason is slipping away from them. They can find reasons not to give any contract, but the reality is that franchises have more money to spend and so the market is shifting away from them. And I continue to think that some combination of De Aza, Lough, and Pearce is not a good plan for a contending team.

A lot of us thought that way last offseason.

Man, you're insufferable. Don't care if you think this was the right move or not, Nick was with us for almost a decade and did nothing to deserve anyone's spite.

It is taking every ounce of my willpower not to hand out some negative rep to posters who are gleefully dancing on Nick's grave.

As we learned last year, it's a long off-season. Anything can happen moving forward.

It is taking every ounce of my willpower not to hand out some negative rep to posters who are gleefully dancing on Nick's grave.

I'm happy the Orioles not wasting money on him sorry i don't agree with you on this.

With Cruz and Nick gone, I await to see DD's plan to unfold. I sure hope it is a good one, or the 2015 season could be a long one.

My great fear is that DD will attempt to do a slew of "under the radar" moves that are nothing more than a glorified version of crossing-my-fingers-and-hoping-for-the-best thing that the Orioles have done in the past.

I DO trust DD but I don't like the idea of letting BOTH Cruz and Markakis go. We really need bats and pitching right now. De Aza and Lough just can't do it.

MSK

Thanks, well said.

I'm actually so mad at every single poster on this site that is "happy" that Markakis is gone. Especially Birdland "dancing" about it. This is a guy that was with the Orioles through the worst of the worst. Signed an extension in the middle of that mess when he could of tested the market and got out. Has done SO much in the community of Baltimore. Actually had a meeting with the owner of the team saying he didn't want to leave but something had to change to turn this team into a winner.

I would not of given Nick the contract that he got, but I for one am very sad to see him go. I hope he wins MVP in the NL next year, and WHEN he gets inducted into the Orioles Hall Of Fame I will be in the front row with a standing ovation.

Archived