Nick Markakis agrees to four-year deal with Atlanta Braves

Greg

This is tough. Can't just root for a jersey. Been rooting for the players since I wore number seven as a kid. This is harder then Mussina. After he got hurt in 2012 I wanted a World Series in Baltimore for Nick.

I was a big Nick fan and wish him well.

I thought he was a clutch player and a guy that showed up for work every day, something that has greater value than is generally acknowledged. As Buck would say, Nick "posted up"

That said, his abilities are replaceable.

My shopping list for the holiday season:

Pay Miller 4/$40

Sign Casey Janssen too

Lock down bullpen works well with our six inning starters.

Sign Melky and Morse.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't want either one of those two either.

What options are availalbe in trade other then Kemp?

Justin Upton but only has a year left on deal.

I really don't want either one of those two either.

What options are availalbe in trade other then Kemp?

DH type players: Rosario, for example.

Upton is available but for overpayment. Brandon Moss is available. Carlos Quentin, Yasmani Grandal, Yonder Alonso.

I think it's classless to be dancing about this. Markakis was a good Oriole who deserves our appreciation as such even if we didn't favor giving him a big contract.

I'm dancing cause the Orioles let him walk. I never thought that would happen.

This blows.

Yup. Nick was one of my favorite players, and I'll miss him dearly; he and Jones are the only players I have jerseys of. I understand why it wouldn't have been smart to offer him that type of contract, but deep down I was hoping he'd retire an O. I'm 100% sure the front office has a good backup plan, but this offseason has been rough so far.

He already did by giving us three winning seasons and two playoffs. Can he do it again? I do not know.

I believe that we got lucky with a confluence of events - namely the mutual regression of the Rays, Jays and Red Sox at the same time. I'm not saying that DD doesn't have strong foresight, but no one could guess Cruz's 2014 performance. The fact we did as well as we did with our rotation is the genius side of things. We've long had a solid offensive core (minus the big bat - Cruz - who is now gone) but there are some HUGE holes this offseason in RF, LF, 2B as well as the need for a solid TOR starter and some bullpen help.

Sure, we've got plenty of time to upgrade, but the Yanks, Red Sox and Jays aren't going to sit still (they never do).

MSK

Yup. Nick was one of my favorite players, and I'll miss him dearly; he and Jones are the only players I have jerseys of. I understand why it wouldn't have been smart to offer him that type of contract, but deep down I was hoping he'd retire an O. I'm 100% sure the front office has a good backup plan, but this offseason has been rough so far.

He still might.

The Orioles have never not had a rough offseason. I can't remember ever going into a season thinking "wow, we're really on track for a World Series this year!"

I'm happy the Orioles not wasting money on him sorry i don't agree with you on this.

It's not that you disagree, it's that you are being disrespectful, to many other (some very respected and revered posters here) and Nick. Most of us learned the difference by the time we were 12. I do hope you get it soon.

Good luck Nick. Hope to see you in the losing side of a World Series to the O's.

Archived