Nick Markakis agrees to four-year deal with Atlanta Braves

Greg

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what this signals in terms of the O's under DD. I'd prefer him to start selling high on some players like Jim Johnson after 2012 or Davis after 2013 in order to keep a talent pipeline coming in, but being able to walk away from the Markakis' and Cruz's of the world are exactly the tough decisions we need to stay competitive. Couple that with what appears to be his ability to find great value from the scrap heap, and things look pretty good.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>U don't want my opinion!!!!!!!!</p>— 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="

">December 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm dancing cause the Orioles let him walk. I never thought that would happen.

You can be happy about him not signing due to your views that it will be a bad contract. But I would think at least a part of you feels bad because Markakis was a long tenured player of the Orioles who gave it his all and was a solid player from the dark times all the way to now when the Orioles have emerged as a perennial contender. Did you see the look on his face when we clinched the division? I can't even put it into words.

He already did by giving us three winning seasons and two playoffs. Can he do it again? I do not know.

This is a 4th place team right now. 2012 was luck. Last year the rest of the East was down. And as predicted, they have retooled. Letting Nick walk because of 1 year and 11m is unbelievable. They may aswell put Jones on the trade block. They should have just given Hardy a QO and took the picks. This team will never get over the hump. Just start over now.

This is a 4th place team right now. 2012 was luck. Last year the rest of the East was down. And as predicted, they have retooled. Letting Nick walk because of 1 year and 11m is unbelievable. They may aswell put Jones on the trade block. They should have just given Hardy a QO and took the picks. This team will never get over the hump. Just start over now.

Assuming that you think the Jays and Red Sox have passed the O's due to busy offseason I am still not seeing fourth place.

Do you think ARod is going to push the Yankees past the O's?

You think the Rays new manager is going to inspire them?

I hate that this happened, and hate that so many voices on this board wanted him gone. I know the arguments, but it still bothers me. Honestly I'm starting to feel that this offseason is slipping away from them. They can find reasons not to give any contract, but the reality is that franchises have more money to spend and so the market is shifting away from them. And I continue to think that some combination of De Aza, Lough, and Pearce is not a good plan for a contending team.

Concur 100%. I'll wait to see what DD brings in, but losing Nick is like a dagger in the chemistry department. Heart and soul of the team. Feeling blank this evening...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>U don't want my opinion!!!!!!!!</p>? 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="
">December 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good for Adam, everyone's wondering, probably Buck as well, who will play to your right and left.

But if we weren't as elite in 2014 as the AL East standing showed, what does bringing back the exact same team and a higher price help? I'm not saying we should start over, because we shouldn't. But it almost seems like you're taking the same view of the O's last year as Beane took over his A's, and so shouldn't we be proactive about it like he is?

I'm a huge Nick fan, but replacing him won't be that difficult IMHO. Good move for both sides. He comes home and we get to move on without it getting ugly.

None of the obvious free agent or trade targets seem all that appealing to me, but I agree this is the type of hole that tends to inspire creative brainstorming as opposed to mortal dread and sleepless nights in a front office...like finding a starting rotation does.

Archived