Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay-but still, it is a risky pick. My point is the same. One player (that is high risk) is all it took you from going to "Dan is our man for life" to "see you later Dan"?

All prospects are risky. Hoffman has a higher upside than all but a handful of prospects in the game. I prefer that to a guy like Pompey who will probably have a decent MLB career but doesn't have the regular All-star type of upside.

Amen. So, everyone that said this was a non-issue and DD was devoted and dedicated to Baltimore are now ready to give up for a former top prospect with Tommy John? That's all it took to get them to the other side? That isn't a coup, that seems great for a guy you were going to let go anyways, but not for someone you seriously didn't want to lose.

Hoffman is not a former top prospect. He is a top prospect. He is rated as Toronto's #4 ranked prospect by BA. MLB has him also as Toronto's #4 (90th overall in MLB). His TJ surgery preceded the draft, in which he was Toronto's first round pick (9th overall).

He isn't a former top prospect who had a recent setback of Tommy John surgery. He was drafted 9th overall KNOWING THAT HE WOULD NEED TOMMY JOHN surgery.

By a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 22 years by a GM who is about to get sh*t-canned. Seems still very risky choice.

Because the dual-GM worked so well before? I don't think so. Brady majored in Ecnomics at a top 50 university so I don't doubt he has the smarts for the job. But I really know nothing about his leadership skills.

Wasn't Brady the guy that worked with Reimold all offseason and all but guaranteed his success a couple years back?

I dunno man. I would rather have Buck as GM and let him pick a manager OR a proven GM.

Amen. So, everyone that said this was a non-issue and DD was devoted and dedicated to Baltimore are now ready to give up for a former top prospect with Tommy John? That's all it took to get them to the other side? That isn't a coup, that seems great for a guy you were going to let go anyways, but not for someone you seriously didn't want to lose.

Just as a point of clarification, Hoffman is a top prospect, regardless of the TJ surgery. He is very highly thought of and has drawn several comparisons to Verlander. He was drafted ninth after having the surgery. If he didn't have the surgery, he may have gone #1. They certainly were not going to let him go any time soon; he is near the top of their prospect list, despite not having throw a pitch in their organization.

It's similar to Lucas Giolito of the Nats. He could have gone first in that draft prior to having TJ surgery. He then went 16th, rehabbed and is now may be the best RHP prospect in baseball. Hoffman is not just a throwaway guy.

Edit: Sorry, apparently a lot of guys beat me to the punch.

All prospects are risky. Hoffman has a higher upside than all but a handful of prospects in the game. I prefer that to a guy like Pompey who will probably have a decent MLB career but doesn't have the regular All-star type of upside.

Pompey put up some great numbers for his age in the minors last season. I don't know anything about him either but I think I would take the more likely sure thing over an injured pitching prospect who hasn't pitched a day in the minors. Top rated pitching prospects fail all the time.

Get a couple of guys, that is my take. One of them that can help us now perhaps. That is what my price tag would be. Or a draft pick this year (we can trade those now, correct?).

I am more concerned who runs this ship.

The ideal scenario is DD stays and WANTS to stay. But clearly he doesn't. You wonder if those rumors of him getting push back on resigning Cruz were true?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Have heard <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> pushing for bigger value with compensation from jays in exchange for not filing tampering charges</p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">January 22, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

O's playing hardball, and I have to say I'm a fan.

Nice. Sometimes it's good to have PA as the owner.

Pompey put up some great numbers for his age in the minors last season. I don't know anything about him either but I think I would take the more likely sure thing over an injured pitching prospect who hasn't pitched a day in the minors. Top rated pitching prospects fail all the time.

So do hitting prospects.

Baseball is hard.

For the record I would rather have Pompey but I would take either.

Get a couple of guys, that is my take. One of them that can help us now perhaps. That is what my price tag would be. Or a draft pick this year (we can trade those now, correct?).

I am more concerned who runs this ship.

The ideal scenario is DD stays and WANTS to stay. But clearly he doesn't. You wonder if those rumors of him getting push back on resigning Cruz were true?

Regular draft picks can't be traded. Only the auxiliary ones that came in the lottery draft.

Archived