Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

Bingo - promote him. It makes sense given the job he's done. We need to provide him with a chance to have more say in the business if he wants that. He ran his own company, etc., and seems to have a good executive mindset. Promote him, have him hire a young GM to groom into our next mastermind... And give him equity in the Orioles. And as I suggested before, turn the Warehouse into his apartment, complete with waterfall.

In all seriousness, Dan is not irreplaceable... but he's as close as it gets for an organization like ours.

I'd prefer promote Dan, give Showalter the GM position (because I think he'll get one in the next 5 years) and have Buck hire a manager (because I have faith in his judgement).

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB is wading into a pool they may want to stay out of if any of this is true. If Peter Angelos can prove they interfered with a contract of an employee and were biased in the MASN issue then they would be in a world of hurt. And I would love to see it after MLB shoved the Nats into DC then want to change the MASN fees on a deal they agreed to. Would serve them right.

Either you believe your employees should honor their contracts or you think they should be allowed to seek the best possible situation for themselves. The Orioles releasing Manny would have a much more positive impact on Manny's life than releasing DD would have on his life. Manny could sign a long term contract guaranteeing him financial security for the rest of his life. Duquette might see his annual salary double. Dan has been in the business for decades and presumably has a retirement plan. Manny is 21 and newly married. Who needs it more?

So you are saying promotional opportunities around the game should be need based? Dave Wallace was under contract with the Braves when he was granted the opportunity to pursue the pitcher coach role with the O's. Same with Chiti. Fact is it is routine in baseball to allow employees with contractual ties to pursue promotional opportunities with other franchises. I can picture the uproar around here if another club refused to allow permission to interview a bench coach for the position of O's manager. But since this is apparently need based, Manny pocketed a nice $6.5 million dollar bonus upon signing with the O's while DD is a lowly MLB executive with 7, yes 7, kids one of which is seven months old. So, despite DD's retirement planning, I think Dan may win out on the need based proxy.

Yeah, but why? A contract is a contract. We let the wealthy middle-aged guy white seek career advancement for more money but not the young hispanic kid? Seems hypocritical.

There are all types of contracts - at will employment contracts, service level agreements, non-disclosure agreements, etc... - and I would wager that an executive's contract and a player's contract are not at all similar. The focus of each person's skill set and required service are entirely different.

Peter doesn't care what the MLB says. He is not leaving Dan out of his contract.

As far as Dan not dispelling the rumor, why would he? Its leverage to get a better deal with Peter.

The thought that Dan would sabotage the O's by not improving them is laughable IMO. What does that buy Dan? His best leverage is to keep improving the O's and to continue having winning seasons. If he starts losing he has lost leverage.

This is not something that is going to play out in the next few weeks. The Jays President is staying for at least another year. He is a long term executive with the Jays and well respected. Dan needs to keep doing well with the O's over the long term to keep his leverage.

This post needs a mic drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see what good would come of preventing Dan from advancing in his career. Do you really want to hold a guy hostage who doesn't want to be here, ruining your working relationship with him and potentially damaging your reputation when looking to hire a GM in the future? I get why a lot of people are happy to see Angelos put his foot down on this but it kind of screams dysfunction, the kind of thing I thought we put in the past.

I don't see what good would come of preventing Dan from advancing in his career. Do you really want to hold a guy hostage who doesn't want to be here, ruining your working relationship with him and potentially damaging your reputation when looking to hire a GM in the future? I get why a lot of people are happy to see Angelos put his foot down on this but it kind of screams dysfunction, the kind of thing I thought we put in the past.

Yeah. You and I just disagree here. It's not that he wants to go. Its that it is a big raise. He can get that when his gig is done with us. This is simply a new work around to poach top GM's. It's been going on for a while now. Peter is not playing that. MLB wants to force it? Like they they want to invoke a new TV right's agreement? They can litigate. And lose their Anti Trust exemption in the process.

I don't see what good would come of preventing Dan from advancing in his career.

Dan had no career. We were the laughing stock of the world for even employing him. Then he did real good. And we gave him a new deal to his liking that he signed.

This isn't a 'baseball' thing, it happens all the time.

I've never heard of anyone who wasn't allowed to leave but maybe those situations are kept quiet.

I've heard of non competes. Have you? I am sure Dan would do well in what ever industry he chose to work in.

So you are saying promotional opportunities around the game should be need based? Dave Wallace was under contract with the Braves when he was granted the opportunity to pursue the pitcher coach role with the O's. Same with Chiti. Fact is it is routine in baseball to allow employees with contractual ties to pursue promotional opportunities with other franchises. I can picture the uproar around here if another club refused to allow permission to interview a bench coach for the position of O's manager. But since this is apparently need based, Manny pocketed a nice $6.5 million dollar bonus upon signing with the O's while DD is a lowly MLB executive with 7, yes 7, kids one of which is seven months old. So, despite DD's retirement planning, I think Dan may win out on the need based proxy.

Wallace was allowed to leave the Braves because Frank Wren's Front Office was imploding. There were more people than Wallace leaving. From what I have read the Braves had become a contentious place to work. That is why Wren was let go in favor of John Hart.

Archived