Fangraphs: Scouting Shortstops Subjectively

weams

"This happens in various forms at every level of baseball, but there?s little accountability for when scouts or writers get it wrong, because the shortstop was called a future non-shortstop at every level until he proved it in the big leagues for multiple years. It didn?t matter if you were wrong, because everyone was wrong, because they were answering the wrong question.

The more accurate way to think about shortstop defensive evaluations is in three buckets: definite yes, maybe and definite no. Some scouts may already think of it this way, but odds are only the flashy guys go in the first bucket and some of them don?t show the consistency to deserve that standing. Plenty of second bucket guys are getting tossed in the third bucket way too quickly, before they claw their way to where they belonged in the first place."

As a quick aside: I know that I don't have to pay money to browse this site, but one of the biggest reasons I choose to is because of the good curation of broader baseball topics that are delivered here. Yes, I could scour the web for interesting baseball info, and yes, I could get into the habit of scraping those articles myself...

But goll-lee I like this kind of stuff, and being able to get the takes of knowledgeable, mostly respectful and respectable contributors here who happen to also be Os family is why I happily pay. Paying for good content and civil discourse is a no-brainer.

Carry on.

As a quick aside: I know that I don't have to pay money to browse this site, but one of the biggest reasons I choose to is because of the good curation of broader baseball topics that are delivered here. Yes, I could scour the web for interesting baseball info, and yes, I could get into the habit of scraping those articles myself...

But goll-lee I like this kind of stuff, and being able to get the takes of knowledgeable, mostly respectful and respectable contributors here who happen to also be Os family is why I happily pay. Paying for good content and civil discourse is a no-brainer.

Carry on.

Giggity-gooooooo!

Archived